Broody, molting, depressed, adjusting to new girls

VBorders

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2015
Help! I have a new saga of "Gone With the Eggs" here at Cluckingham Palace. I had four really great hens, and the one that ruled the roost and led in egg production died. About that same time, we added six new 8 week Olds to a separated wing of the coop. Three turned out to be roosters, but they all remained separated. Tiffany went broody, and continues to be broody (very healthy otherwise). Brittany began molting (healthy otherwise). Jig is a picture of health. These are my one year Olds that have laid an egg a day for the past year. I'm getting no eggs whatsoever (occasionally one). We gave the roosters to a friend with a farm, and then opened up the entire coop. The new girls, Aunt Pitty Pat, Mammie, and Prissy get along fine, and are now 16 weeks. I don't SEE any snakes, and our coop is pretty rock solid with no place for predators. What in the world is going on, and what can I do to correct all of this? It seems like SOMEBODY in there should be laying!

They can have a lull in laying when stressed. With all the changes going on it seems that that is the likely reason.

Since you are sure nothing is stealing those eggs, and the gals are healthy, I would be patient.

But do watch for evidence that one or more of the newbies could be eating the eggs and explore the coop/run and make sure the broody gal isn't moving the eggs?

Is the broody sitting on fertile eggs?
About the only thing you can do is.....wait.
What breeds are the older birds.?

Is the broody sitting on fertile eggs?
About the only thing you can do is.....wait.
What breeds are the older birds.?

Older birds: black australorp and buff barred rock. New birds: silver laced Wyandotte and little darling reddish Brown something with feathers on her feet (not 100% on that breed)

Back
Top Bottom