Broody, Molting, Egg Bound, Sick? What is wrong with my chicken?

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
I thought I had it figured out that she was a broody until a couple days ago when she started acting strange so here's all the details: Also, side note: I have been finding black feathers in their house and nesting box for about 2 weeks now. Also, her comb is just a tad paler than the rest of my Australorps. Not too much, but I noticed it. And I am pretty sure she is my chicken who lays https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1102673/bumps-on-eggs#post_16980083 these eggs. Not sure if that "background info" may help, but it's worth a shot.

So, one week ago I found an Australorp in a nesting box when I was tucking the girls in(that was the last day she laid an egg-for a week now she has not laid), she didn't move a muscle when I opened the box, and I freaked out and thought she was dead because that day it was very hot. Then, I mustered up courage and touched her and thank the Lord she moved! I thought she was just hot, so I left her in there to have alone time that night. The next day she is still in there. I go to grab her and she ruffles up her feathers and clucks. It suddenly dawns on me that she is a broody. So, I pick her up from the box and put her outside with the rest of the girls to free range. Immediately she release a big broody poop. The next two days I try and break her. I remove her from the box and shut them off after everyone's laid, and I stick her booty in water. I thought it worked! The next morning I find her in the nesting box again and I promptly put two frozen water bottles under her, immediately she gets up and goes in their run. That day she was out the whole day, even when she had access to their boxes. Every day since then she has been out but acting a little strange. Yesterday, when I gave them some fruit, she just stood in the corner looking out, and did not go and walk over to see what was up, even when all of the other chickens were 2 feet away from her eating! Almost every night I find her in the nesting box, and I just pet her and she gets up and goes in the house. I'm at a loss. Did I not break her completely? I really don't know. Sorry this was long! I hope it made sense! Thanks for any help! It is really appreciated!

Last edited:
I wouldn't use water methods of breaking a broody, they don't work. You need to set her up in a wire bottom cage elevated off the ground a bit so she can't sit tight and heat up for 3-5 days straight, 3 is usually enough for most, provide food and water. You could have potentially caused frostbite with the frozen water bottles and that's why she's acting goofy. I wouldn't put ice under her again.

I wouldn't use water methods of breaking a broody, they don't work. You need to set her up in a wire bottom cage elevated off the ground a bit so she can't sit tight and heat up for 3-5 days straight, 3 is usually enough for most, provide food and water. You could have potentially caused frostbite with the frozen water bottles and that's why she's acting goofy. I wouldn't put ice under her again.

Thank you for your response! So do you think I didn't break her? She is out (voluntarily) in the run with the rest of the girls for all of the day and I only find her in the box when I go to tuck them all in. And I didn't think about giving her frostbite when I did that, but I'm not too concerned because it was not under her for even a full second before she got up and I removed them.

If she's staying outside all day, I would just go in after dusk and move her to the roosts. Sometimes hens sit in the boxes when they aren't feeling well or because they can't handle the nightly roosting drama, so a few days of relocating her may help get her back to the roosts. It does sound like she's mostly broke but letting her sit all night in the boxes will fire her back up.

Back
Top Bottom