Broody? Or something else?

Hulahooper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
It is Veronicasmom again (gotta update my password so I can logon myself). Anyway will start by saying I have a call into the vet, but wanted to quickly jump in here for some opinions.
Muscovy hen has been sitting on a nest for the last 3 days. She looks fine (well, as fine as she does, she is the one with they cruddy feathers), alert, hisses at me when I come close, or makes sweet trilling noises if I am just in the vicinity. I was going to pick up the eggs and leave her with some fake eggs, so I picked her up off the nest. There were no eggs in it. She went right back on. A bit later I picked her up again and carried her outside, put her down near food and water, she ate and drank and POOPED a lot. Walked around a bit, preened, ate and drank a bit more, then right back on nest.
Is it ok there are no eggs? Does she need to be seen? She walked fine, did not seem in discomfort, alert, eyes normal looking. Can anyone shed some light on this.
I have to go out in a bit for several hours, waiting for vet to call me later today. Just worried about poor Valora. I think she had been laying earlier in the season, but it is hard to know who is and who is not.

Thanks.

It is Veronicasmom again (gotta update my password so I can logon myself). Anyway will start by saying I have a call into the vet, but wanted to quickly jump in here for some opinions.
Muscovy hen has been sitting on a nest for the last 3 days. She looks fine (well, as fine as she does, she is the one with they cruddy feathers), alert, hisses at me when I come close, or makes sweet trilling noises if I am just in the vicinity. I was going to pick up the eggs and leave her with some fake eggs, so I picked her up off the nest. There were no eggs in it. She went right back on. A bit later I picked her up again and carried her outside, put her down near food and water, she ate and drank and POOPED a lot. Walked around a bit, preened, ate and drank a bit more, then right back on nest.
Is it ok there are no eggs? Does she need to be seen? She walked fine, did not seem in discomfort, alert, eyes normal looking. Can anyone shed some light on this.
I have to go out in a bit for several hours, waiting for vet to call me later today. Just worried about poor Valora. I think she had been laying earlier in the season, but it is hard to know who is and who is not.

Thanks.
Hey, I have 3 doing this, one started out broody with no eggs, she is almost 9 yrs old and I don't think she is even laying any more but still going through broodiness she has been sitting about 3 weeks now, acts broody when she comes out covers up her empty nest when she leaves it. Bless her heart. I'm thinking counseling for her. the other 2 I have been taking their eggs since I don't have room for anymore ducks but they are both faithfully sitting on nothing. I think it just has to run it's course. Sounds like your girls is a pretty normal Muscovy. Now if she was straining and acting off other wise then I'd be concerned.

I agree, she sounds like a typical 'scovie girl bound and determined. You know i have one out in the barn.. the HORSE barn making a nest? the horses poke their noses at her she hisses which is beyond funny.

She gives up and the horses end up breaking the egg... unreal.

Thanks Miss L. The vet suggested I bring her in, but I just hate to do that if there is no real reason. She seems fine, not listless, sitting on the empty nest. I was afraid of egg binding, but she does not seem off at all except for this. I have an appointment tomorrow, but I am thinking I will cancel it. The stress of going in is hard to justify if I see no real issue except the broodiness. RIght? Ugh, this is a tough call.

GQ-if she had eggs under her, I would probably not be worrying, it's just the lack of eggs that is worrisome. But I agree, they pick the darndest places to make nests!!

Well, back from the vet. Alone. I opted to have her euthanized. I am also having a necropsy done to find out what exactly was wrong. But upon exam, the vet found a very very low, 80bpm, heart rate, which was one giant issue, and also felt something in her abdomen, possibly a small elongated egg, but more likely, she thought it was a tumor. Not having much hope with either issue, but then combine them, and I just felt it was kinder to let her go before she really began to suffer. She was feisty as ever this morning, and was not appearing to be in any pain, bright eyes, walking fine, weight was still pretty good, but she had lost a bit. But with what the vet found, and the fact that I did not raise her from a duckling and she was very wild, I feel my decision was in her best interest. I never saw this coming, I thought whatever was wrong would be fixed and she'd be good to go for a long time.

Rest in peace Valora...............................................I will miss you.

Well, back from the vet. Alone. I opted to have her euthanized. I am also having a necropsy done to find out what exactly was wrong. But upon exam, the vet found a very very low, 80bpm, heart rate, which was one giant issue, and also felt something in her abdomen, possibly a small elongated egg, but more likely, she thought it was a tumor. Not having much hope with either issue, but then combine them, and I just felt it was kinder to let her go before she really began to suffer. She was feisty as ever this morning, and was not appearing to be in any pain, bright eyes, walking fine, weight was still pretty good, but she had lost a bit. But with what the vet found, and the fact that I did not raise her from a duckling and she was very wild, I feel my decision was in her best interest. I never saw this coming, I thought whatever was wrong would be fixed and she'd be good to go for a long time.

Rest in peace Valora...............................................I will miss you.
I'm so sorry, I would never have guessed it was anything other than Muscovy broodiness.
hugs.gif

I am surprised, so sorry for your loss. At least the vet did provide some input, around here they won't do nothing, they just don't give a hoot.. I had enough of a time when i had a colt drop a few years ago...

hugs.gif

Thank you. I know, I was really blindsided. She really never showed signs of illness, except that there were no eggs. It was so strange. Now I am just wondering if because of the heart issue she was just tired most of the time and I thought it was broodiness. But when I picked her up, she struggled and walked around fine. Who knows? I will second guess myself and blame myself for possibly missing something. I know I should not. But I do and I will. I just never ever thought that she was not coming home with me.

And I am so lucky I have the opportunity and ability to take her to the vet and she never really did have to suffer.......

Last edited:
Thank you. I know, I was really blindsided. She really never showed signs of illness, except that there were no eggs. It was so strange. Now I am just wondering if because of the heart issue she was just tired most of the time and I thought it was broodiness. But when I picked her up, she struggled and walked around fine. Who knows? I will second guess myself and blame myself for possibly missing something. I know I should not. But I do and I will. I just never ever thought that she was not coming home with me..............

Don't do that to yourself, seriously i know, trust me.. i have experience some pretty crazy stuff with animals, it's natural to wonder if i did x,y, z but unless your completely negligent which clearly you were not, don't... it does no good, sometimes there is simply nothing that can be done, no matter how hard we try.

hugs.gif

Thank you. I know you are right. I am trying to stop beating myself up, I took her as soon as I thought it was necessary, but I can't shake the feeling that maybe I should have done it sooner. Who knows. I do believe that she did not suffer from a lot of pain, even the vet said that, so I will try to take comfort in that. I just get so attached to all the pets we have, even the fosters. And it is hard when they leave this world suddenly.
I am hoping the necropsy sheds some light on exactly what was happening, and it gives me some closure.

Back
Top Bottom