Broody parakeet but no eggs?

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
I have a female and male pair of parakeets and for the past week and a half my female has spent almost all of her time in the nesting box. Pulling out feathers, scratching around and puffing herself up like a broody hen. She’s become territorial of the nesting box and does not like when I go near it. She’s very obviously brooding but there’s no eggs. Will she start to lay soon? Would dummy eggs help her to start laying? What can I do to help her lay?

When I used to breed budgies I had to sprout seeds daily to help bring them into breeding condition. There's also food you can give them to help. Regular keet diets don't have what they need usually so they can produce eggs. I'd pick up a book on breeding budgies. It can help with all the tips, and tricks.

Budgies are originally from Australian. They breed during the wet season when food and water are plentiful. So fresh sprouts and higher protein treats will help them come into breeding condition. They also need increasing light to help stimulate hormones. Females will need access to extra calcium as well. So get your birds in breeding conditions and they should lay and produce eggs.

Have you seen them mating?

When I used to breed budgies I had to sprout seeds daily to help bring them into breeding condition. There's also food you can give them to help. Regular keet diets don't have what they need usually so they can produce eggs. I'd pick up a book on breeding budgies. It can help with all the tips, and tricks.

Budgies are originally from Australian. They breed during the wet season when food and water are plentiful. So fresh sprouts and higher protein treats will help them come into breeding condition. They also need increasing light to help stimulate hormones. Females will need access to extra calcium as well. So get your birds in breeding conditions and they should lay and produce eggs.

Have you seen them mating?
I have not seen them mate but I’ve seen the male try. He’s done the head bobbing and whatnot trying to impress her but I’ve never seen them do the deed.

Sorry for the late reply I’ve been very sick but am now feeling better and have the strength to reply. Yesterday I saw her doing the tango with her now husband (I assume they had a quick wedding in Vegas while I was asleep) and now there is one egg I can see

Update: All three eggs have hatched and momma is taking care of the babies
Congratulations. That's great news. Are you gonna keep them all? When I bred a batch I handled them daily and they were so tame. Thinking about setting my trio up and see how it goes. They are from the store, so pretty flighty. I sure miss having tame ones.

Back
Top Bottom