broody pecking latecomer chick

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
this is so upsetting!

my broody hatched 4 chicks. i let her sit on the eggs for a bit longer, and after 24 hours another chick hatched.

that morning when chick had fluffed she abandoned the nest.

she hates the latecomer chick. she calls everyone over to eat, and if he comes she pecks him.

he is doing great, he isn't even the smallest. he is very cute, fat. he is slightly darker than the others.

i'm worried she is going to hurt him, and if nothing else she is making him very sad. and perhaps nasty in the long run?

i won't raise a loner chick, but i would take away all her chicks just to simplify things.

today i'm watching them--while putting together my brooder.

she is pecking him often and occasionally hard.

what are the chances that she will come around?

Why not try re-introduce the chick? Take it away for the day and put it back under her when its dark and she will wake up to it in the morning. If she doesn't accept it, I wouldn't take all her chicks away. Maybes just take another one so it has a friend. Hope it all works out, Let me know how you get on. Good Luck!

my friend just hatched out a duckling, and so far he is a all alone. perhaps i should send the poor picked-on chick to live with the ducklings (and perhaps other ducklings?) anyone know if this would work?

my friend just hatched out a duckling, and so far he is a all alone. perhaps i should send the poor picked-on chick to live with the ducklings (and perhaps other ducklings?) anyone know if this would work?
Is the Duckling alone without a mother and the same age?

yes, they are 2 days apart in age, and duck has no mother. i don't know if duckie is still a lone duckling, he was yesterday!
If it is a lone duckling then you could. Does your hen let the chick under her for warmth at night?

yes, chick goes under hen for warmth. i didn't hear from friend with duckling today. broody seemed to be NOT pecking baby as hard or as often. when she did peck i would yell at her. i also saw her peck another chick but only once. the other chick just happens to be from a teeny tiny egg-- and is quite small. (an egg-fart chick!) i'm hoping broody is calming down.

Back
Top Bottom