Broody Poop

Crack N' Egg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Flemington, NJ
Hi there!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but through endless searches I can't find my answer.

I have a silkie sitting on 8 eggs. She's been on them about a 6 days now and I have a couple of questions. It's our first time doing this.

1. She has been leaving the nest to poop. So the eggs have crusty poop on them as well in the hay. Should I clean out the nest and put new hay down???

2. I was able to feed her by hand a couple of days ago, but now she is not accepting any food. And she obviously isn't leaving the nest because she's even pooping in it. I take her off 2x a day to put her to the waterer so she can drink. Should I just let her be and assume that if she gets super hungry she will eat?? Should I try enticing her with scratch (her favorite treat) or yogurt or something? I can't imagine that she can go another two weeks with no food.

She is separated from her flock in another part of the coop, but is sharing it with 7- 2 month olds.

Thank you BYC'ers for any input!

I just put food and water near her nest so that she doesn't have to get up and if she does she dont have to go far. as for the poop.... i leave the straw and clean the poop with a cat litter scoop to keep it to a minimum. I try not to bother my broodies too much for fear that they will abandon the nest.

Back
Top Bottom