Broody Pullet...

By Day 19 usually WE and the Momma Hen are well over waiting! I used to go and sit with my broody hen and talk to her for half an hour or so near the end. I could tell she was at the end of her rope, so I would just quietly reassure her, and say things like "Nearly there, Momma Not long to go now" and give her a little pat. I know we don't have to do that, and that Broody Hens know what they are doing etc, but I really felt like it helped her relax and cope in the last couple of days.

Not long to go for you now though! I have hatched 3 batches of chicks so far, and with each batch there was always at least one chick who hatched on Day 20. So really, ANY DAY NOW!

I have everything crossed for you, and wish you a successful hatch. Keep us posted!

- Krista

Is she behaving any differently?

Often times, when a hatch is imminent, you will see the Momma Hen putting her head between her legs to look underneath herself. She will also coo quietly to the eggs, and refuse to get off the nest - for anything.

You never know, there could be a baby chickie underneath her already! Once they hatch, you still don't see them for ages. They need at least 8 hours to fluff up and dry out completely before they pop their head out to show us how cute they are.

Good luck. I really hope that at least one hatches for you! I'm nervous for you!

- Krista

She hasn't done any of that, she got down for 20 mins this morning to eat and I looked at the eggs and they still looked like eggs, didnt want to disturb them though. Its not official day 21 for 4 more hours so I guess I'll see. Poor baby, she's been working so hard I hope at least one hatches. Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Wait wait, hold it!! I went out and sat wither her for about 25 minutes, no peeps or anything. I started making a peep noise to see if I got a reply, I heard an egg peeping! She sat up, tucked her head under herself and started cooing back to it :) :)

fl.gif

COME ON CHICKIES!

- Krista

No chickies :( she got down to poo this morning no pips. I tapped the eggs no peeps. I'll give it a few more days but it doesn't look good :( I put an add on Craigslist for some chicks to try and graft under her. Don't want her mourning... :( :(

Oh no!

Well, it's not too late. Maybe they are just taking their time. I have heard of some hatches being a day or two (or even three) days late. Is it cold where you are? Sometimes that can delay hatching by a day as well.

Have/did you candle the eggs at any point? Do they look viable?

I agree, if they don't hatch some day old chicks are a good idea.

- Krista

I chucked them all, they were just plain regular egg yolks inside all of "em :( Can't find any day old chicks either, guess I just better wait till spring , hope she's broody again and slip some chicks under her then. Poor girl, all that work. Now I really dont trust shipped eggs either :(

Oh, I am so sorry. I was so excited for you. Where di you buy he eggs from? I'd be contacting whomever you got them from and lodging a compliant. That's rubbish if they sold you unfertilised eggs.

What are you going to do with your broody girl? Is she getting over it or are you going to use a broody buster cage with her?

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom