Broody Questions

H Diamond

Songster
5 Years
Jan 26, 2014
Hi all, wasn't sure which section this went in, so feel free to move it if needed.
I have a Welsummer hen that is 6.5 months old. She spends most of the day in one of the nests, sometimes she spends all night in the nest. It's always the same nest. She is rarely there in the mornings though. Is this is a sign she is thinking about going broody, or does she just really like to hang out in the nest? If she wanted to be broody, that would just be wonderful, I'm just not well versed on broody behavior. TIA!

Since she's gone in the mornings, I would say not. My bunch will generally mostly forage in the morning, then will often spend long eriods in the afternoon "lying around." Mine usually do this outdoors, in a group... but to each his own, I guess.

Other signs that they are broody are flattening themselves out where you put them if you move them out of the nest, and growling and pecking if you reach toward them on the nest. Of course its easier to see these behaviors if they usually like to be handled!

I should have clarified... she's on the nest by like 10am or so... and she gets all fluffed up and growls and me if I try to take the eggs.
She hasn't pulled out any chest feathers or anything like that yet.

A broody normally spends only a few minutes off the nest each day.

There has been a lot of breeding done in recent decades to eliminate broodiness in order to increase egg production. I personally believe this is why we see some "sort of broody" birds, which may be what is happening here. Another thought is that she is a bit young to go broody; it's certainly not impossible, but usually they wait at least a few more months, or til their second year, so she may be sort of working her way into it.

This is all guesswork, of course, and there could be something ele entirely going on. Maybe she just doesn't feel very good for some reason, and is more comfortable resting quietly in the nest, but still has some appetite and some urge to forage and exercise a bit.

Maybe someone else will come along with some other ideas. I wish you well.

Thanks! That's an interesting theory, one I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. (The partial broody part)

Back
Top Bottom