Broody RIR

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I have one hen thats been sitting on eggs for along time. Not sure how many days. Now some others are following her lead. I don't think there gonna hatch.
I'm now worried because its been along time. What should I do? I really don't want anymore chicks right now & I'm ready for them to quit being broody.
These chickens normally don't brood. I wanna stop this behaviour . The eggs should of hatched by now.

It is spring after all. The hens have laid a certain number of eggs, and the days have reached a certain length. All work together to trigger the brooding hormones in many hens.

I have one hen who is on her second time being broody this spring, her eleventh time in her two and a half years of life. If I left even just this one hen to sit and hatch eggs every time she has gone broody, I'd have around fifty more chickens than I have room for.

So I keep the broody-breaking cage handy. This hen is in it right now inside the run, with a fan blowing air under her to cool down her body temperature. This is the fastest method, and maybe the only one that has any real chance of working, to break a broody and get them laying eggs again.

Come night-fall, I leave her in the cage with the fan going, and I just drape a blanket over the cage so she feels safe. She should be over this broody spell by day after tomorrow.

All the other methods of breaking a broody have only temporary effects, so find a wire-bottom cage, and start breaking your broody!

Back
Top Bottom