Broody Shadow On Day 18....They're hatching! Hatch Complete

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I cant wait to see what kind of mama this banty Cochin will be to three standard size chicks that will outgrow her in six weeks. Tonight starts Day 18 for her. She's done really well. She's a lavender (self blue) from Ideal Poultry, our only Cochin, our only bantan and our only lavender, to boot. She's special. Now, I'm wondering if this will be her only broody period this year. She just turned a year old.
love.gif

DCP_2843.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, Kelly! I really love my broodies. DH always rolls his eyes when I say I think someone is going broody, but that pen that Shadow is in was built by him just for her, to keep her safe and snug.

Awwww, that's so cute!! One of my Silkies hatched out babies in December (silly chicken) and I have 2 other broodies until all the rains last week soaked the nests (those eggs are now in the bator). While it was raining I didn't collect eggs, so my Polish hoarded the 4 she laid and started sitting.
lol.png

My Silkie who hatched chicks in Dec. hatched out 5 LF EE chicks and 1 Silkie/EE chick...she managed to keep all of them warm and happy, even in the winter.

Tonight begins Day 20 for Shadow. We removed the milk crate and placed her nest on the floor of the cage so the babies would have no trouble with that lip on the front. Now, we're in home stretch!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom