Broody, sick or depressed? Help..

tabatha_westcott

Songster
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
I have 5 young hens (chickens) and 2 young drake runner ducks. The 2 ducks have been "loving" on 2 of the hens... Really bothering them. And now they're acting like they've gone broody. (I think) They have made a little nest and won't get off except to eat and when they do, the hens get attacked by the drakes. I have been bringing them water and food because I don't know if they're getting enough. Here's the thing, there's no eggs in the nest! We have no roos, just some dorky adolesent drakes. I'm afraid the ducks are too agressive with the hens... Are the hens broody without eggs or roos or are they scared of the ducks? Will they be okay? What should I do here? Do I need to get rid of my ducks? Will they outgrow this? My hens were first! Thanks...

Last edited:
The hens are about a year, the ducks a few months younger. The chickens being bullied are a black-sex link and a production red. The other 3 are BOs but they don't get bothered... It's strange because the 2 that are getting bullied were the top ladies before all this.

is there any way to rehouse the drakes away from the hens?

I have a feeling they are probably broody. There's no roosters around to service them, and with some males showing them attention, however useless it might be, its probably bringing out the mom in them.

I'd take the drakes away for a day or two and see if they remain on the nests, that would answer your question pretty definitely I'd think.
smile.png
Hens will try to hatch anything when theyre broody, even air... lol.

Back
Top Bottom