broody?

RASS

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
I have 7 hens, no rooster; one hen stays on nest. should I go out and get a rooster, force her off nest, get eggs and let her start again; or will she start sitting again?

You could try to break her broodiness by putting her in a slightly elevated wire bottomed cage to cool her bottom. Make sure there is room to put food and water in with her, as you may need to keep her in there a few days.

Or, you could let her sit on those eggs another couple of weeks and then get some babies (best if only a few days old) to slip under her. You're the only one who knows if you want more chickens or not, or if your setup can handle more.

Thanks, but if I get a rooster and he breeds other hens can I put their eggs under her?

I would say not this time around. I don't know how long she's been sitting, but it takes some time for the rooster to integrate into the flock and then for the hens' eggs to become fertile, then three weeks for the eggs to hatch. All that time of sitting, the hen is losing condition by getting old the nest to eat and drink only once a day. I'd either break her or get her some chicks this cycle.

Back
Top Bottom