Broody

dcs02d

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
I have 4 hens. Two are EEs about 10 months old. One is a black and white one and th other is a gold colored hen. These two are older and they have been laying. Just a day or two ago the gold chicken stopped laying and now sits on the eggs the other hen lays. She also acts like a psycho.

After using the search button
smile.png
I have found she is 'broody'

What do I do with her? How long will it last? I suppose I could get a couple of fertilized eggs but I'd like to her to back to laying!

Thanks,

I broke one of my broody girls a couple of weeks ago by separating her from the flock without the possibility of nesting. She got really aggressive after I kept kicking her off the nest, and I was worried about her because she wasn't eating and drinking. She wasn't leaving the nesting box at all. I set up a large wire dog crate in the chicken run, with food and water and a stick across for a roost. After three days she was back to her old self and hasn't acted broody since. Good luck!

The elevated wire bottom cage method has been the best for breaking a broody hen around here. I have used a rabbit hutch with good results. They aren't very happy about it, but I don't see any point in letting the hen get run down and losing out on the egg production if I don't have room (note I didn't say need, lol) for any more chicks, ducks, turkeys, etc. Here is a great thread that explains that method as well as a few others.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

Back
Top Bottom