Brugse Vechter aka Bruges Fighter Thread

Couple of updated pictures. About 5 weeks old now. Lost one during the really hot days last week 6 remain. Not sure if heat related or what, others have been fine.

Attachments

• 7A60473D-2AB9-48CF-BB3A-E3B17F8EDD9B.jpeg
    7A60473D-2AB9-48CF-BB3A-E3B17F8EDD9B.jpeg
    962.2 KB · Views: 40
  • A80C7A5B-CA6F-40D3-9C40-13630161607C.jpeg
    A80C7A5B-CA6F-40D3-9C40-13630161607C.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 30
  • D25CB60E-2887-4F2A-929D-FE0C3E315BCE.jpeg
    D25CB60E-2887-4F2A-929D-FE0C3E315BCE.jpeg
    883.4 KB · Views: 34
  • B92C949B-FC5D-4EC8-AE4F-1DF75BFB1A56.jpeg
    B92C949B-FC5D-4EC8-AE4F-1DF75BFB1A56.jpeg
    804.6 KB · Views: 39
Hey update... so last year I was sad because my liege was a pullet... turned out she's a HE. Lol. It took him almost a year to start crowing but I love the liege fighter. The flarry eye grey is also a beautiful rooster and great with humans and pullets.

I noted that my flarry eye grey (FEG) is VERY protective of the hens from predators or when they squawk at me getting eggs or moving them, etc. He and the liege fighter (LF) are the same age but FEG matured 3-6 months faster.

I don't care for the FEG large comb size and it looks like it got some frost bite even though we only had a couple days of temps below freezing. The pictures online at Greenfire show the FEG with a trimmed comb which I did not do. The LF looks 99.99% identical to the photos on Greenfire (where I purchased).

The FEG seems to be better at flock protection, mating bantam to extra large size, flying/roosting. The LF struggles to breed smaller hens and more clueless when the hens are upset, he is still my favorite though.

One thing for sure, I will never buy a rooster from feed store with intent to keep. The money spent on fancy, specialty roosters at Greenfire was so worth it to me when choosing a rooster to keep. I really like that they are different. I'm not sure it's just a coincidence that feed store roosters seem to be very aggressive towards people (might have to do with genetics and bred to grow too fast, etc).

Hey update... so last year I was sad because my liege was a pullet... turned out she's a HE. Lol. It took him almost a year to start crowing but I love the liege fighter. The flarry eye grey is also a beautiful rooster and great with humans and pullets.

I noted that my flarry eye grey (FEG) is VERY protective of the hens from predators or when they squawk at me getting eggs or moving them, etc. He and the liege fighter (LF) are the same age but FEG matured 3-6 months faster.

I don't care for the FEG large comb size and it looks like it got some frost bite even though we only had a couple days of temps below freezing. The pictures online at Greenfire show the FEG with a trimmed comb which I did not do. The LF looks 99.99% identical to the photos on Greenfire (where I purchased).

The FEG seems to be better at flock protection, mating bantam to extra large size, flying/roosting. The LF struggles to breed smaller hens and more clueless when the hens are upset, he is still my favorite though.

One thing for sure, I will never buy a rooster from feed store with intent to keep. The money spent on fancy, specialty roosters at Greenfire was so worth it to me when choosing a rooster to keep. I really like that they are different. I'm not sure it's just a coincidence that feed store roosters seem to be very aggressive towards people (might have to do with genetics and bred to grow too fast, etc).
I hatched Bruges along with the LV I’m from GFF. 2 of the 3 Bruges hatched. One chipmunk with a metallic sheen and one black with a brownish head. The chipmunk looks Birchen now and the black brown is turning to black/gold. I’ve had hardly any aggression issues with the Liege or Bruges, but I have 2 FEG that are cockerels I had to sequester at 5 weeks and subsequently throw outside with the big birds- MEAN. Those FEV have been trying to kill each other and everyone else. They literally bounced off of the brooder walls and ceiling, bloodying their combs. Nutso IMO. Didn’t want them, they were extras… lol. I’m not a fan, my best description is “high strung” 😕

Back
Top Bottom