Bruised beak

Lauren84

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Essex, England
Hello,
My 6 month old Indian Runner Custard got her beak stuck in the run whilst I was at work. She has red bruising and a graze below it from where her beak was stuck. I have put Vetericyn spray on it. She is still foraging happily but I’m worried that she might hurt her beak more when its trying to heal.

What would you recommend doing to treat it?
F0136451-B111-42C3-829D-AE0205C5E8F5.jpeg

About the best you can do is keep it clean but with ducks that is near impossible unless you pen her up on towels so she hasn't anything to root around in. Unless you are willing to pen her I would clean it up real good every evening before bed and then spray veterycin on it don't give her food and water overnight so she can't wash it off. When my gander stuck something into his bill I also used some ACV in his drinking bucket [1-2 Tablespoon to 1 gal] at this strength it won't burn and it can kill some bacteria. I use ACV with Mother.

About the best you can do is keep it clean but with ducks that is near impossible unless you pen her up on towels so she hasn't anything to root around in. Unless you are willing to pen her I would clean it up real good every evening before bed and then spray veterycin on it don't give her food and water overnight so she can't wash it off. When my gander stuck something into his bill I also used some ACV in his drinking bucket [1-2 Tablespoon to 1 gal] at this strength it won't burn and it can kill some bacteria. I use ACV with Mother.
Thank you very much Miss Lydia, I will make sure to follow your advice.I hope Custards beak will be okay and its just superficial🤞.She seemed in good spirits despite everything.

@Lauren84 Hows the bill looking today?
Hello @Miss Lydia, Custard seems okay, thank you for checking up on her :).The bruise has gone a darker purple now, I thought it was a good sign that there doesn’t seem to be any new trauma or bruising to her beak. There is a bump from the bruise though today. She laid an egg last night which surprised me. I thought that the stress from hurting her beak would mean that she wouldn’t.

Custard had ACV in her water today like you suggested and she seems to quite enjoy it. And I put the Veterycin on her several times today and cleaned her beak including before bed. I will take pictures tomorrow to show you an update. She’s being a very brave girl though I think :).

Sounds like she is on her way to total healing. Thanks for updating. Look forward to seeing the pictures. My flock like ACV in their water it is a great tonic for them and us.

Sounds like she is on her way to total healing. Thanks for updating. Look forward to seeing the pictures. My flock like ACV in their water it is a great tonic for them and us.
Hello @Miss Lydia
I took a picture of Custard’s beak this morning, it was still a bit dark so its not the best picture but you can see how the bruise has gone very dark now and how its a bit raised. She was being a bit of fidget.
07AF2D10-5C61-493D-804C-434521DE290E.jpeg

Is there an opening like the bill has been split? or is it just a smooth bruise? Hard to tell by the picture. Hopefully the ACV will kill any bacteria that might get in, this would only happen if the bill had an opening.

Is there an opening like the bill has been split? or is it just a smooth bruise? Hard to tell by the picture. Hopefully the ACV will kill any bacteria that might get in, this would only happen if the bill had an opening.
Hello @Miss Lydia I tried to take some better pictures before they went to bed. It seems like smooth bruise to me , I don’t think its split.🤞 Theres a graze underneath the bruise though. We cleaned her beak up and gave Custard more Vetericyn before bed.
69F0E70B-713C-4004-84F7-A0992525092C.jpeg
58FBC920-8845-483A-8A64-B7AB92D1E6A2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom