Bruised meat?

YarrowFarms

Chirping
Jul 6, 2022
NE NC
I posted about plucking my jerk rooster last night. After reading a bunch on here last night I decided to just keep it simple and skin him, and then slow cook the snot out of him and then can, mostly because he's somewhere between 12-16 months old.
Once I got him skinned I realized he's pretty well bruised on one leg and on his breasts from where he's been fighting with my head rooster. I know when we butcher deer we always cut out any damaged meat, and I'm assuming the same applies here? Am I right in that assumption? Thanks!

I posted about plucking my jerk rooster last night. After reading a bunch on here last night I decided to just keep it simple and skin him, and then slow cook the snot out of him and then can, mostly because he's somewhere between 12-16 months old.
Once I got him skinned I realized he's pretty well bruised on one leg and on his breasts from where he's been fighting with my head rooster. I know when we butcher deer we always cut out any damaged meat, and I'm assuming the same applies here? Am I right in that assumption? Thanks!
While it might be a little tougher, it is still good meat.

I soak in salt and ice water for a day.... some of the blood pulls out so it doesn't look as bad. I had a jake that I thought I was going to cut out some of the bruising because of ick factor. Next day I couldn't find the bruises

Once I got him skinned I realized he's pretty well bruised on one leg and on his breasts from where he's been fighting with my head rooster.
I think my young head rooster would win in real chicken fights, he knows how to use his spurs, all the other processed cockerels had spur bruises, but they were simmered in gravy, so it didn't matter.

I think my young head rooster would win in real chicken fights, he knows how to use his spurs, all the other processed cockerels had spur bruises, but they were simmered in gravy, so it didn't matter.
Older clocks have more experience though XD. I have a four yr old cock that's teaching manners to two of my younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom