Brutally pecked baby chick, half dead

Petra Pancake

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
One of my remaining hens (after a disease that killed the majority of my flock, I posted about that in another thread) has hatched a tiny baby chick this morning. She had raised chicks with the flock before successfully. When I came back in the evening, the chick was lying in the middle of the coop - seemingly dead. When I picked it up to remove it, it suddenly gave a weak squeak and started wriggling in my hand. It was severely injured with half the skin and feathers on its head ripped off in two places, bleeding, and with an additional open wound in the lower belly area. Something seemed to hang out of the vent, I'm not sure if it was its intestines. One of the two hens left in the coop is a known chick hater, I think it was her, though she's never gone that far before. I couldn't get myself to kill it, so wrapped the little chick up and put it in a warm place, thinking it would probably die on its own. Now, a few hours later, it is still alive, breathing, slightly moving its head and wings. But it keeps its eyes shut all the time. What should I do?

You can take the poor chick to your vet to have it humanely euthanized, which is probably the best option in this situation. The chick probably won't live, so putting it out of its pain is the kindest thing to do. I'm so sorry this happened!

Back
Top Bottom