Bubbly eye?

OhMyItsAndyy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
West England
Hi, my 7 week old pilkie chick had a sticky watery eye two days ago, and i thought that it may have been some dirt in the eye. Yesterday was the same so i used a little plain water to try and wash out the eye a little. Today it got worse as the eye had a bubbley foam when i opened it. It's also got a mucky gunk. The little guy is walking around with his eye shut most the time and the inner eyelids are also closed. the inner corner of the eye looks dirty and when the eye does open, its a squint. As for other behaviour he seems normal. He's normally quiet, and he is still grooming himself, and i think he is eating and drinking normally, but I havn't observed.
Also the affected eye is light on the top lid and the lower lid is pink (Sore or irritaed), but the chick has black silkie skin.
also he seems slightly unstable

Last edited:
Mosquitoes are bad this time of year in many places and chickens get pox from them a lot of times if they have not been vaccinated.

Look up fowl pox and see if you can find photos to compare what you have going on with your silky.

There are many post right now with others having the same problem as you described.

My chick had a bad eye for a long while - it turned out that it was just conjunktivitus - treated with eye cream from Vet - same stuff used on kids! Worked great and the little chick is doing great and now 8 weeks old. No eye trouble at all just a bad infection. It sounds a lot like what your we chick has. Do you know if it got anything stuck in his eye? I had a bit of hay got stuck and caused the problem with mine. Could be just something inocent like that. Not Pox or anything sinister.
Anyhow its just a thought

Oesdog
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I was reading another thread yesterday in which the chicken had gotten a really bad sinus infection and it was coming out it's eye sockets.

it doesnt look like the fowl pox, but thankyou for the link

I did say that as a joke, i didnt realise they had that :L

The little one is also sneezing... We've had him inside with us about half an hour and he's sneezed a few times. I dont know if that really is relevant, Betsy, the mother sneezes but she hasnt any illness, she's always just sneezed? I dont know.
I think the eye is swolen, on the outside anyway, like its infected

Worse this morning, half the eye is covered in bubbly stuff, which can be wiped away but it comes back, and it sounds like hes got a stuffed nose, thought there isnt any mucus showing in the nasal passages. But he clicks as he breathes out like people do when they have a cold.
hmm.png

my chick is doing the same thing watery eye will not keep it open i have no clue what is going on but now my turkeys eyes and nose are bubbling i hope someone answers us soon, i am very worried, and i dont know what to do or what it is

Back
Top Bottom