Bubbly ring when candled

SesameSt.Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Hello!
This is my first time attempting to hatch, and the first time I've candled an egg. I set 2 eggs in the incubator - one on the 19th and one on the 20th of January.
The one I set on the 20th, still doesn't seem to have any development.
The one I set on the 19th, I candled on the 23rd, 25th, and today, the 27th. Each time it has looked the same - a ring in it with little bubbles all the way around that ring. (Actually, on the 23rd when I candled it, my brother and I saw bubbles going from the little end of the egg to the ring - it was kind of weird.)

Is this bad? From research it seems that if there is a ring and no veins, then the egg is not developing. Is that right?
I am really hesitant to give up on it!!
sad.png

We tried to take pictures, but they did not turn out so well. This is one of the best.

Thank you for the help!!

You are a week in, and to be honest i see nothing in that egg. It doesn't even look like it was fertilized. You should be seeing a lot more. I'm almost 100% sure that egg is bad. Sorry.

What color is the egg ?idark eggs a more difficult to candle. Also, on future hatching attempts I would leave the eggs alone until at least day 7 to candle.

Yeah, that is infertile or somehow just didn't start developing if you're sure it was fertile to begin with. When I candle I wait until day 10 to toss any I am unsure about but this one would be a sure bet in my mind. Even on day 2-3 you'll find that you can see a small dark spot in a fertile egg and then the veins start spidering out from there. But until you're more experienced it may be hard to find that dark spot so early into the 21 days. The dark shadow sphere is the yolk and with such a light egg you'd be able to see a great view of the development by now if it were developing properly. sorry.

I wanted to add that there's a sticky at the top of the incubation/hatching category that shows a great photo visual of egg candling at different stages.

Last edited:
I have eggs in My incubator like that, i didn't see anything till day 9 or 10. also I had an infertile egg with an egg sack on the side of the egg like in the pic, that is very strange. I thought i seen one on the top of the egg to begin with... make sure you do the sniff test too just in case.

Back
Top Bottom