Buckeye Hen Suspected Sour Crop Has Green Runny Poop

Pics

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
I have a buckeye hen around 1 year old who developed what I believed to be a sour crop around a month ago and she still hasn't recovered. I tried everything I used for other chickens with sour crop that worked for the other chickens and it did not work. There were times she seemed better and then went back to being bad.

Today when I went out into the coop, she was worse than I have seen her. She had her tail drooped almost to the ground and she was lethargic. There were times she couldn't balance after I let her go.

I brought her inside and these are the 2 droppings she has let out since she has been in. They are not healthy droppings and I hope that someone can help me identify what these droppings mean.

Picture 1 was around 3 pm of today, 04/18/24. Picture 2 was around 9 pm of today, 04/18/24.

Attachments

• 20240418_150748.jpg
    20240418_150748.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20240418_205506.jpg
    20240418_205506.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 4
When was her last egg?

Any swelling or bloat of the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Have you dewormed? Take a sample of her poop to your vet for a fecal float, if possible, to rule out worms being part of the problem.

The article below is helpful when addressing crop symptoms. Keep in mind that often there is more going on when a crop is not functioning as well as it should.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When was her last egg?

Any swelling or bloat of the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Have you dewormed? Take a sample of her poop to your vet for a fecal float, if possible, to rule out worms being part of the problem.

The article below is helpful when addressing crop symptoms. Keep in mind that often there is more going on when a crop is not functioning as well as it should.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I can't remember the last time she has layed an egg, she has been sick so long.

There is no swelling or anything feelijg abnormal externally.

She has been dewormed. My whole flock, including her, just finished their deworming process last week.

I will take a look at the article, thank you!

Do you know what the type of dropping she let out mean, if it is anything serious?

Oh good, what dewormer did you use?

Sorry that she's not been well for a while, often laying hens can have reproductive disorders which can have other symptoms accompany them.

Poop has a lot of urates in the first which can be from not drinking enough. The other, it can be from a number of things, since she's not well.

Oh good, what dewormer did you use?

Sorry that she's not been well for a while, often laying hens can have reproductive disorders which can have other symptoms accompany them.

Poop has a lot of urates in the first which can be from not drinking enough. The other, it can be from a number of things, since she's not well.
I used Roosty's Natural Dewormer Pills. Once on the 6th of this month and once on the 12th. I gave all of the chickens pills by hand so I could know they all took them.

Since I have had her inside I have been giving her plenty of fluids, but I don't know how much she was drinking when she was outside. I know that earlier this week, drinking was the main thing she done. She had no enthusiasm about food but she huddled near the water and drank constantly. Now she hasn't.

Would you like pictures of her posture?

Even her feathers look off. They don't look like healthy feathers.

She has been sick so long and now she seems to really be suffering, if I can't fimd the cause then I feel it may be best to cull because of how much suffering she is going through right now.

Photos are always welcome.

If possible, take a sample of her poop in for testing. If she does have worms, then you'll want to treat with an anthelmintic. Sadly, a lot of the natural remedies are not that effective.

I'm sorry she's been sick for a while, sometimes they can have good and bad days, but if she's clearly suffering then it may be time to let her go.

Photos are always welcome.

If possible, take a sample of her poop in for testing. If she does have worms, then you'll want to treat with an anthelmintic. Sadly, a lot of the natural remedies are not that effective.

I'm sorry she's been sick for a while, sometimes they can have good and bad days, but if she's clearly suffering then it may be time to let her go.
She hunches up with her tail down. It hurts me to see her like this and I feel bad making her go through that. Most of the time she doesn't have energy to stand or fight when she is held.

Sadly, I think she may be too far gone. She is my favorite of my buckeye hens. She at least has some children that will be carrying on.

Back
Top Bottom