Budgie crop full of seed

Blacklotus

Chirping
Sep 8, 2016
Australia
I have a pair of budgies that have been feeding their bubba bits of seed. His crop is full of it and doesn't look like it's digesting, ALTHOUGH.. he is doing lots of poos, so that means it would have to be digesting, right? He grows bigger and bigger everyday. But I only just noticed the seeds being fed lastnight and today, it used to always be crop milk. I give the pair lots of soft foods, and plenty of wet egg and biscuit mix. Just hope the bits of seed are digestible? When I touch the crop it feels very firm, like a big clumped ball of sticky seed. Is this normal, first time I've seen this with baby chicks.

Many people think there's something wrong when they see a babies crop full of seed. It's perfectly normal.

Grit shouldn't be given to parakeets as they remove the husk before eating the seed. Parakeets have a smaller opening between the stomach and intestines where grit can get stuck, causing a blockage.

Yes as it turns out, it seems to be normal. Baby budgie digested all the seed the next morning :) worried for nothing! Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom