Buff Brahma

What do y'all think about this little Buff Brahma? Pullet or roo? And sorry for the picture quality. She never stops moving! The hatch date was 6/30.

Last edited:
What do y'all think about this little Buff Brahma? Pullet or roo? And sorry for the picture quality. She never stops moving! The hatch date was 6/30.

A pullet I'd say. because of it's growing tail. Males (cockerels) usually doesn't grow tail feathers at this age.

So I'm knew to this whole chicken thing and will be getting Guineas and possibly a breed or two of chickens...I need some that go broody good but also give a decent amount of eggs(don't want ones that give a lot) I read that a brahma is a good breed for those things.

I'm also looking for a good show bird. I would like to know if any of you have or do show these birds? I like the coloring of the buffs, are there any difference between buff and light? Would a tractor supply store carry these types of chicks?
Thanks
Ethan

@farmguy5 Welcome to the world of chicken keeping! I adore my buff brahma, she is very sweet and will jump directly into my lap to be pet if I sit down (though this is largely because she has been hand raised). Brahmas are known for the docility. Mine does not lay every day... more like every other day, with a few breaks every once in a while. Her eggs are a light, creamy brown. She has not yet gone broody, though you are correct that brahmas are one of the "broodier" breeds. I did purchase her from My Pet Chicken hatchery- I think the origin of the chicken has a lot to do with how instinctual about broodiness they are.

Since you're looking for a show bird that has a tendency to go broody, I would recommend looking into brahma breeders near you. You probably won't find show-quality birds at your local tractor supply store, but I don't have any experience showing so I don't know. A breeder would be more expensive, but theoretically more high quality. They are lovely, beautiful creatures that I'm sure you'll be happy with!
smile.png

I just ordered our buff brahma bantams for showing. Definetly buy through a breeder as many hatchery birds have vulture hocks which is a DQ for showing, also hatchery birds usually have a v pointed tail instead of an upside down u. I love the buff myself. Look at the brahma club website for breeders near you. Some borders are willing to ship a breeding trio.

Thanks. I'm trying to guess what kind of chick I have, has feathers on the the feet and mahogany color, with black lace kind on the wings and redish dot at the end of beak.

Back
Top Bottom