Buff can't stand or lift her head. Not able to eat or drink

yellownumber5

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
My chicken was fine one day and the next afternoon was unable to move in her hutch. She can only lift her back and flops never lifting her head. I have been feeding her wet food with serynge and antibiotic water with an eye dropper. My other chickens seem fine. I don't feel an egg. Her poop seemed a little stiff like she was dehydrated but other than that not strange looking. It did have a lot of pebbles in it, but I read that that was normal. Her feathers look healthy. Her eyes look normal. I just can't find anything that it would be. She doesn't seem to have many symptoms besides just inablitly to stand or lift her head.

Do you have a picture of her?

The pebbles are probably from her gizzard. Chickens eat small pebbles or grit if it supplied to help grind up their food.
Is she able to stand or hold her head up?
Were you able to get her any vitamins or electrolytes?
Does her crop feel full or empty?
You may have to start tube feeding her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Somehow I missed the first video last week, the second is improvement! She looks so much better.
thumbsup.gif

Just doing a break down of what you have tried, etc. or if I missed something, forgive the rambling, just trying to cover it all.

I would make sure to have vitamins/electrolytes in the water something like Durvet http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=99:vitamins-and-electrolytes

Green poo can be a sign of not enough nutrients.
Will she eat her layer pellets? Have you tried them wet? See if she will eat them, she needs good nutrition so if she won't eat layer pellets, you can try chick starter, tuna, scrambled/hard boiled egg and see if you can get some protein into her.

It looks like she is eating corn? in the video, are you giving her any grit to process that? Even if you normally don't supply grit, I would see if she would take some Chick Size grit (it is fine ground granite). I know you are seeing "pebbles" in the poo, but could it be unprocessed corn? See if she will take a couple of SMALL pieces of bread soaked in olive oil, that may help move the pebbles on out. (I still have the small chick grit when my were babies and I put some in with the regular grit, they will pick large and small, so it doesn't go to waste.)

It's good that she able to stand a little bit, I know you mentioned she was (of course) sitting in her waste, so you may want to make a chicken sling so her bum stays drier and her hocks,leg and skin don't get "burns" from the acid in the poo. (I don't know why I didn't mention that earlier. (Google "chicken sling" then look at the images and you will find a lot of them) here's a couple:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/887965/hen-with-broken-upper-leg
http://scratchandpeck.blogspot.com/2012/10/sick-chicken-or-things-we-do-for-love.html

The same thing happened to one of my Polish. She was fine one day day and then the next couldn't even lift her head. You are doing the right thing by feeding wet food and water. If it is the same thing that happened to mine it could mean that she just got really dehydrated and hungry. Mine was at the bottom of the pecking order so I guess the others wouldn't let her to the food. I didn't notice until she was really weak. I did the same thing as you and after a day or two of feeding her and giving her water she got the strength to lift her head again. Now she is absolutely fine and running around with the other girls. You are doing the right thing yellow number. Keep it up and maybe get up in the night a couple of times to give her some water too. Also, is she still out with the others? If you haven't already, I would bring her into your house/garage (if possible) in a carry case or something to keep her warm. Good Luck, and I hope she gets better.
fl.gif

My chicken was fine one day and the next afternoon was unable to move in her hutch. She can only lift her back and flops never lifting her head. I have been feeding her wet food with serynge and antibiotic water with an eye dropper. My other chickens seem fine. I don't feel an egg. Her poop seemed a little stiff like she was dehydrated but other than that not strange looking. It did have a lot of pebbles in it, but I read that that was normal. Her feathers look healthy. Her eyes look normal. I just can't find anything that it would be. She doesn't seem to have many symptoms besides just inablitly to stand or lift her head.
Can you post some pictures of her and her poo or a video of her actions?
What do you mean by lifting her back? Is this the rear end or her actual back? How is she flopping over, can she stand at all?
What type of feed are you feeding her? Anything changed in her environment - new flock mates, bedding, different treats, etc.
How old is she?
Like @wyandottegirl posted above, isolate her or bring her in and put her in a warm quiet place, so you can monitor her and keep her hydrated.

I have her in a dog kennel with shavings. I took her away from the others as soon as I saw her. The only thing I had to feed her at this time was wet smooshed up dog food. It's the only thing I could get in her. I tried smooshed eggs before that but couldn't get it down her. No she could not stand. I don't have a video. She lifts up with her shoulder area unable to lift her head and falls agian when I touch her too much.

Back
Top Bottom