Buff Leakage on Black Orpington or something else?

GardenHarpy

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2021
Bought a handful of chicks from a local feed store in October because my broody would not break and I was desperate. The chicks were hatched at that location by one of the owners, I was told that the chicks were lavender and black Orpingtons. But I've got some questions about a bird I'm assuming is a cockerel based on attitude and it's comb and wattles getting large and red early compared to some of the other chicks.

Two of the chicks were black; one of them quickly developed muffs, this is the other bird.

8W4buUK.jpg

So I thought this was buff leakage at first, and they did have a buff rooster in a different pen.

DqQViGP.jpg

Then the ticking? started coming in.

BTBzEXf.jpg

His feathers consistently have a matte edge and the markings are iridescent.

fW6jy8V.jpg

He's starting to grow red feathers at the head.

I'm assuming he isn't a purebred bird, but I would really like to know what those markings are called. If he is male he'll just be covering some hatchery Orps and Easter Eggers for me so being pretty is a bonus.

One final question, is this bird Lavender or Blue? Their feathers always look kinda scruffy.

wbEcPx5.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, leakage. It’s coming in on his wings that way because he’s a rooster, and they often have “shinier” wing feathers and such. It’s likely that all that orangeness is coming in because he’s getting his hackle and saddle feathers.
The second one is lavender, which is commonly associated with the shredder gene that causes.. shredded feathers.

I find it odd that the owner of a feed store would be breeding their own chicks to sell, but if they are the first one could be a mix of anything. It is a cockerel, and so is the lavender one. Lavenders have the feather shredding gene (not sure of the scientific name) and that's why they have often the messy feathers. Your guy is definitely lavender, not blue.

Thank you both! I figured the little lavender was a male but I was certainly hoping he wasn't either of those things. Absolute sweetheart, but I'm not sure letting him stay is worth having to breed the feather shredding back out.

It was a very old-timey feed store a bit out in the sticks. I can absolutely see how it'd be cheaper for them to just keep a breeding pen and an incubator vs ordering chicks from a hatchery. Was in a rush when I posted and didn't realize I'd called the buff roo a cockerel at first, he was definitely a full grown rooster, and I saw the rest of the group's probable parents in a different pen, they were enormous compared to my hatchery buff orps.

It takes two copies of the lavender gene for that color to express itself. If you breed lavender to anything without one or two lavender genes you will get mostly black offspring without the shredder gene. Still probably not worthwhile to have more than one male in any case.
Thank you both! I figured the little lavender was a male but I was certainly hoping he wasn't either of those things. Absolute sweetheart, but I'm not sure letting him stay is worth having to breed the feather shredding back out.

It was a very old-timey feed store a bit out in the sticks. I can absolutely see how it'd be cheaper for them to just keep a breeding pen and an incubator vs ordering chicks from a hatchery. Was in a rush when I posted and didn't realize I'd called the buff roo a cockerel at first, he was definitely a full grown rooster, and I saw the rest of the group's probable parents in a different pen, they were enormous compared to my hatchery buff orps.

All things being equal what I would like is healthy daughters from a couple favorite hens and a little more meat for the freezer.

As much as I like the scruffy guy "there can be only one," the lavenders are cute but I'm finding that they're just not for me. So if using either of them gets me a mostly black bird I might as well use Cupcake. I appreciate the info and the advice.

It takes two copies of the lavender gene for that color to express itself. If you breed lavender to anything without one or two lavender genes you will get mostly black offspring without the shredder gene. Still probably not worthwhile to have more than one male in any case.

Back
Top Bottom