Buff Orp or Buff Rock?

BearSwampChick

Chicken Sensei
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Marysville, OH
This is pullet was supposed to be a BO, but with the yellow legs, probably not?
DSCF0699.jpg

the area around the ears looks more rock-ish than orpington, when I compare to the way I remember our BOs and barred rocks looking. Also, you're right about the legs. All of our BOs have greenish legs. They also have what we termed 'knickers': the feathers from below the wings to the legs kind of billow out and look like old school bloomers. Our rocks do NOT have those, and it looks like the one in your picture does not, either.

From the information I have gathered here, a BO should have white feet and skin. Probably a cross or hatchery bird? Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge will post.

I have the same prob...I was told mine was a buff rock possibly too. Mine has yellow legs and I got it from Ideal Poultry. I was SO happy to have a buff orp but I will have to wait now
sad.png
They sure are pretty tho huh? How old is yours? It almost looks rooish. Mine is 10 weeks old and is totally light and has not waddles and a very tiny light comb.

Quote:
Oh, yes, they're really pretty! I do have one BO, too. Mine are 18 weeks, so I'm pretty sure they're pullets. But they are very lightweight compared to the other breeds. They do take longer to mature, I believe. The combs are just now starting to turn reddish.

Back
Top Bottom