Buff Orpington Egg Color

I have the exact same thing going on with my hatchery BOs. Two of mine are consistently laying white eggs. They also have white ear patches and quite a bit of black in their tails.

I posted about mine in What Breed or Gender is This and the thought seems to be that this is normal for hatchery birds. Personally,having raised a lot of BOs in my younger years, I think they are mixes. It could be Buff Leghorn, could be Minorca. I know mine are much narrower built & finer boned than a standard BO and also much smaller.

Anyway,if you have a sweet natured,friendly bird that lays well enjoy her for what she is.
Lora

I have the exact same thing going on with my hatchery BOs. Two of mine are consistently laying white eggs. They also have white ear patches and quite a bit of black in their tails.

I posted about mine in What Breed or Gender is This and the thought seems to be that this is normal for hatchery birds. Personally,having raised a lot of BOs in my younger years, I think they are mixes. It could be Buff Leghorn, could be Minorca. I know mine are much narrower built & finer boned than a standard BO and also much smaller.

Anyway,if you have a sweet natured,friendly bird that lays well enjoy her for what she is.
Lora
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My girl has little specks of black on her tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But.... Shes big like a BO

Specks of black, or smut, in the tail can be in the normal range for BOs. It can be just a little extra pigment and is useful in breeding to correct a gold that has faded or washed out.

Mine have a full blown pattern.

Have you actually weighed your girl? The fluff adds a lot of visual mass, you might be surprised at the actual weight. My smaller birds look to be 5-6 pounds but really weigh around 3.

Her tail isn't as black but she does have a good bit on her tail... At first we thought it was mold haha... She is very fluffy and since she's started laying has become very heavy and hippy!

She is a sweet looking girl, how old in the photos?
A BO should be 8-10 pounds at a year old for hens.

well the photos go from most recent to oldest... We got her back in September... The lady told us she was hatched at the end of may...

About a month older than my current flock. There is a good thread in Breeds, Genetics and Showing on page 2 . It's titled Buff Orpington Thread, good examples of both hatchery stock and APA birds.

Stay away from the English Orpington thread on page 1, very different birds than the American Orps.(or maybe go there & get hooked on them too.)

Back
Top Bottom