Buff Orpington has been squatting for 2 1/2 weeks??

MrOrpington16

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
MA
So Annabelle has been squatting for 2 1/2 weeks! My youngest pullet ( a brahma) beat her in the first egg race. What the heck!!!?!?! Is this normal? What can I do... All of my pullets are laying, but her.

Some of them just need time to get their body ready. It's like labor, some women are lucky and pop them out in one day whereas some poor women take a week in it to finally get it out. Every chickens body is different, who knows, when she does start she might become your best layer. If it happens for more than a month you might want to start looking for a nest somewhere, but until then don't stress.

Good to hear. My Buff Orpington has been showing signs of egg laying for the past couple of days as well. I heard her singing the egg song day before yesterday and got so excited. No egg yet though. Silly thing. She IS quite interested in the nests though and follows the Leghorn and Sebrights and watches them go in the nest boxes and lay eggs. I think they are just a little later to mature maybe than some other breeds?

Good to hear.  My Buff Orpington has been showing signs of egg laying for the past couple of days as well.  I heard her singing the egg song day before yesterday and got so excited.  No egg yet though.  Silly thing.  She IS quite interested in the nests though and follows the Leghorn and Sebrights and watches them go in the nest boxes and lay eggs.  I think they are just a little later to mature maybe than some other breeds?  

My barred rock layed the day after her egg song;) It will be any day now!!

Back
Top Bottom