Buff Orpington Has Red Legs and Feet

LupinLaneChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lynnwood, WA
Hello,
I am not sure if this is a problem or not but my Buff Orpington Hen's feet and legs are reddish/pink. I heard somewhere that this could be just scar tissue from Scaly Leg Mites? I am just wondering if I should be worried or not? Thanks!

59972_sam_0581_-_copy.jpg

59972_sam_0586_-_copy.jpg

1)What type of bird , age and weight. Buff Orpington, 2 years old, healthy weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since I got her four months ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, not that I can tell the other Buff Orpingtons legs are a normal whitiesh color
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I do not know, I have heard it could possibly have been scar tissue from scaly leg mites?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer Crumble, fresh clean water, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None so far
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine Shavings, Large house type coop, 25ft x 15ft run. They are kept warm, clean and dry.

I see no evidence of scaly leg mites. That is normal pigmentation on the legs. I have a bird whose legs are also red like that. I have been watching the bird for months to establish that... nothing is wrong with it. All my other BOs' legs are pale, but one has the red coloration. Just a varying amount of pigment in the legs.

Good luck.

I think she looks healthy as well,I check my two and the 1yrold has a bit more of a reddish look to her than the 2yrold who has more of a whiteish look.

I have 3 BOs and 1 of them has pink feet- just started today. No idea why, but if it's hormones, that would be a nice explanation. She seems ok, but putting her back down, I noticed her toenails were curled under and she didn't immediately flatten her feet. We're getting a cold front blowing in, so we're going to have our coldest temps yet- down to the 20s. She has not had mites, fwiw. Glad to know this is normal.

Tikki
smile.png

Definitely a normal thing for chickens but I'm curious... Has this hen been laying for you since you got her? I've only seen it in roosters and if she is not laying, I would agree with the above post saying it's possibly due to hormones... This *may* be a case of the ovary not working and basically the hen has turned into a roo.. It's really not that unheard of... If she *is* laying, I wouldn't worry about it...
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the pictures! My largest Buff, Henrietta, has also developed those red streaks on her legs, and otherwise seems very well. I treated her for scaly leg mites, but really did not think her legs and feet looked like the pictures usually shown for that condition. I have looked all over the internet for pictures that look like her legs, and finally found yours! She looks just like your pics. I am so relieved. Although, I am a little concerned that this might be a hormone related thing. She is not laying, and has always been a poor layer, although she is my lead chicken in our flock of four. We have no rooster. Could this mean she is turning into a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom