Buff Orpington mix?

Lora Indy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Hiya,

A little backround...
I grew up raising both Bo's and BPR's. We had large flocks of what would now be heritage birds. I'm finally at a point in life where I can have my own flock so this June I ordered 25 Buff Orpingtons from a hatchery. I had no idea how poor the quality was going to be!
There are 4 that seem to be bantam size but started laying eggs at 16 weeks.I think they have not missed a day laying since they started. As the larger birds have started laying it's been a real variety,brown eggs with chocolate spots,white spots, all shades of brown. Until the other day when this showed up in the nest box.

Yes, that is a white egg. I could tell that something was up with the chicks by the time they were 2 months old, they just didn't look right for BO's. Tail feathers started coming in with black, more than just a little.

The flash is washing out the color but there is a pattern there of black with a gold edge.

I think this one is the white egg layer.

So, any ideas as to what mix this is? The bone structure is much thinner and lighter than a BO, they lay early and often, forage well and are quite friendly. Thanks, Lora

Let's see if I can show a close up photo.

Yes, that is a white ear. Several others are starting to color that way as well.

I don't know what they are, but they are very pretty and fluffy!
smile.png

Yes, now I know better.
sad.png

lauriemae, yes, they are fluffy, they are all fluff! There is a very small chicken inside that golden down coat.

i bought some st runs of buff's, and Cukoo marans, after getting rid of all of the Roos ( we thought) .... we have a BO roos to develop late and then even later...... a we not sure what he is beyond HE...... has a long tail feather span like a ring tailed Pheasant runs like a road runner..... if i can i will get a pic of him of, he has the dark red/blackish tail span, mostly white body and oragny patches on back....... anyone got a clue what I have

those look just like the buff orp pullet my parents got from ideal hatchery and it is completely normal for them to look like that. the egg is missing its coloring but again something that is normal in hatchery birds as is the ear lobe coloring. she is % buff orp from a hatchery

I agree, those are hatchery quality orpingtons. The darker tail feathers is a common fault.

Reading your description and seeing the white egg, I was thinking maybe you had a buff mincora or something similar thrown in, I've seen that before. But with a decent eye you'd be able to spot a mincora vs an orpington..........way different body and larger white earlobes.

I'd just wait and see if you have consistent white eggs. I think it's just a fluke, some times a hen forgets to put the shell on altogether, I don't see why one couldn't forget to put the color coat on. That's not really a white earlobe in the pic.

Sorry you're not happy with your birds. I'm sure there's an orpington thread on the breeds section, maybe you can find someone who has birds more of a quality you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom