Buff Orpington not herself and clear liquid came out of mouth

Spambergg

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Hello,

I'm new to chickens and have encountered my first chicken ailment. The hen is 6 months old. She was out roaming around eating and I picked her up. Clear liquid came out of her beak as I picked her up. At first I thought maybe she had just drank a lot because I had just put fresh water out. Several hours later i noticed she was laying in a hole in the shade. It was very very hot today here. I went out to check on her and she's not quite her frisky self. Her comb is flopped over and she is periodically opening her mouth. It sounds a little harsh in there when she breaths with her mouth open. Her breath also had a smell but I've never smelled chicken breath before so I'm not sure if it normally has a smell or not. She's eating. I haven't seen her stool. The other 5 hens are fine. Overheated? Sour crop? Ascities? I appreciate any educational input.

Thanks!!

Hello,

I'm new to chickens and have encountered my first chicken ailment. The hen is 6 months old. She was out roaming around eating and I picked her up. Clear liquid came out of her beak as I picked her up. At first I thought maybe she had just drank a lot because I had just put fresh water out. Several hours later i noticed she was laying in a hole in the shade. It was very very hot today here. I went out to check on her and she's not quite her frisky self. Her comb is flopped over and she is periodically opening her mouth. It sounds a little harsh in there when she breaths with her mouth open. Her breath also had a smell but I've never smelled chicken breath before so I'm not sure if it normally has a smell or not. She's eating. I haven't seen her stool. The other 5 hens are fine. Overheated? Sour crop? Ascities? I appreciate any educational input.

Thanks!!
Hi!
she most likely drank a lot and vomited water when you picked her up.
I would not really worry about that to much because my hens do that if I pick them up after they drink.

If her breath smells bitter or like vinegar then she might have sour crop.
Is her crop hard or full? Did she lay an egg?

If its really hot like 100F then they will be drinking a lot of water.

When it's hot make sure you :
1: wet the ground so it's moist, Then they can take nice cool dust baths.
2: give them 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar mix with 2 cups of water.
DO NOT put Apple Cider Vinegar in a metal water container or anything Metal it will kill your chickens!
Plastic dish or bowl will work perfect!

I hope this will help!
CC

There is a difference between open mouth breathing and panting.
if it's very hot Chickens will pant to cool them self down. ☺️

How hot is it where you live?

The hen is 6 months old. She was out roaming around eating and I picked her up. Clear liquid came out of her beak as I picked her up. At first I thought maybe she had just drank a lot because I had just put fresh water out. Several hours later i noticed she was laying in a hole in the shade. It was very very hot today here. I went out to check on her and she's not quite her frisky self. Her comb is flopped over and she is periodically opening her mouth. It sounds a little harsh in there when she breaths with her mouth open. Her breath also had a smell but I've never smelled chicken breath before so I'm not sure if it normally has a smell or not.
How is she doing?

Sometimes if they have been drinking a lot and you pick them up pressing the crop, water/food can come back up. So this may be what happened. You do risk them aspirating on what comes up though, so take care when holding/handling them you don't press on the crop.

In hot weather, birds will often lounge about. They also will pant and hold their wings out to cool themselves. Providing deep shade can be helpful during hot weather.

As for how a chicken's breath should smell. It should smell pretty much like wet feed, not a bad, foul or sour smell.

If she's still struggling and you're worried, please do post photos of her and her poop or if you have video that may be helpful, post that too. For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.

There is a difference between open mouth breathing and panting.
if it's very hot Chickens will pant to cool them self down. ☺️

How hot is it where you live?
It hit 95 today but it's been getting down into the low 50s at night. That's the first hot day in a while.

I just checked on her early this morning and it's not hot out. She periodically opens her mouth. I wouldn't say that it's with every respiration though. It's definitely not panting because it's hot. The rest of the birds are all fine and acting normal.

How is she doing?

Sometimes if they have been drinking a lot and you pick them up pressing the crop, water/food can come back up. So this may be what happened. You do risk them aspirating on what comes up though, so take care when holding/handling them you don't press on the crop.

In hot weather, birds will often lounge about. They also will pant and hold their wings out to cool themselves. Providing deep shade can be helpful during hot weather.

As for how a chicken's breath should smell. It should smell pretty much like wet feed, not a bad, foul or sour smell.

If she's still struggling and you're worried, please do post photos of her and her poop or if you have video that may be helpful, post that too. For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.
She was the only one not out of the coop this morning. She looks better than last night however, she still occasionally open mouth breathe. She's still pretty chill for her usual self. Her crop is very large and soft, almost water balloon like feeling.

I put out the Apple cider solution and two different dishes this morning. I also put out some electrolyte enhanced water since it's going to be in the mid 90s again. I figured the rest of the flock would benefit from that. Her stools are normal and not watery. I at least assume that since there are no watery stools anywhere around. I appreciate the advice.

She was the only one not out of the coop this morning. She looks better than last night however, she still occasionally open mouth breathe. She's still pretty chill for her usual self. Her crop is very large and soft, almost water balloon like feeling.

I put out the Apple cider solution and two different dishes this morning. I also put out some electrolyte enhanced water since it's going to be in the mid 90s again. I figured the rest of the flock would benefit from that. Her stools are normal and not watery. I at least assume that since there are no watery stools anywhere around. I appreciate the advice.
I should also add that they have no access to food or water overnight so her crop should not still feel that way

Hello,

Thanks!!
Update: she ended up dying 48 hours into this (had a big seizure and died) I sent her for a necropsy and prelim results show Coccidia. So glad I sent her in so that I can now treat the rest of the flock and change the way im caring for these birds.

Update: she ended up dying 48 hours into this (had a big seizure and died) I sent her for a necropsy and prelim results show Coccidia. So glad I sent her in so that I can now treat the rest of the flock and change the way im caring for these birds.
I'm sorry for your loss.

It's good that you were able to get some testing to find out more.

Are you treating the rest of the flock with Amprolium (Corid)?

Back
Top Bottom