Buff Orpington or Cornish Rock?

MamaHenR

Hatching
Mar 16, 2016
I know...two very different breeds. Long story, but we bought 6 chicks from TS and on the box the lady marked 5 bantams and 1 Cornish Rock (although it was very clear that we didnt want chickens for eating) A couple days later we (supposedly) bought a Buff Orpington (pullet supposedly)from a different place. For nearly 3 weeks we have thought this baby was the one we got from TS but now looking at pictures from the day we brought them home, we arent positive! Help! Oh, and on a side note, this little booger has gotten to be the boss in the last couple days. When I put my hand in the brooder that chick comes charging and if I reach for any of the others here comes this one, pecking at me and showing off. This leads me to believe its possibly a roo whichever breed it is.

welcome-byc.gif

That's an Orpington. The pic above is great for illustrating the size difference between CX and other breeds.

Just for reference, a "Cornish game hen" you buy in the store, those little tiny birds, they're a CX butchered at about 3 weeks.

I remember eating some of the Cornish game hens from the grocery store many year ago.. someone had told me they were a delicacy, I thought they just tasted like chicken
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom