Buff Orpington Rooster? Please Help!!

My roo starts crowing at about 5-5:30am (or about an hour before the sun comes up) and then crows on and off till bed time. As for family not wanting to eat fertilized eggs, just don't tell them! Unless you know what you're looking for, you can't tell the difference.

My roo starts crowing at about 5-5:30am (or about an hour before the sun comes up) and then crows on and off till bed time. As for family not wanting to eat fertilized eggs, just don't tell them! Unless you know what you're looking for, you can't tell the difference.
ok, and i do know what i am looking for, but they dont! is there a certain age where roosters will start fertilizing most eggs? if a hen lays an egg a day for a week, how many eggs will be fertilized (if i only have one rooster)

ok, and i do know what i am looking for, but they dont! is there a certain age where roosters will start fertilizing most eggs? if a hen lays an egg a day for a week, how many eggs will be fertilized (if i only have one rooster)
Depends on how many hens you have and how amorous your rooster is. I think for maximum fertilization you want 1 roo for every 5 hens, but don't quote me on that. After he starts mounting your hens, their eggs should be fertile after the third egg that hen lays and will stay that way for about 3 weeks after you get rid of a rooster. Roosters start mounting around 4-5 months, on average. And yes, your neighbors will hear him. I personally prefer my rooster to my neighbor's yippy dog.

Depends on how many hens you have and how amorous your rooster is. I think for maximum fertilization you want 1 roo for every 5 hens, but don't quote me on that. After he starts mounting your hens, their eggs should be fertile after the third egg that hen lays and will stay that way for about 3 weeks after you get rid of a rooster. Roosters start mounting around 4-5 months, on average. And yes, your neighbors will hear him. I personally prefer my rooster to my neighbor's yippy dog.
hahaha, thank you!

i have five other hens (possibly only 2 other hens though
sad.png
) so if i keep this buff orpington rooster, all my hens will lay fertile eggs with every egg they lay?

My roosters crow VERY early, like starting around 3:30 or 4:00 AM, even in the winter.
hmm.png

My roosters might be a little higher in testosterone here, but they start mating as early as 14 weeks! Just caught one the other day. And one rooster for 5 hens is probably not a good ratio. I understand the recommended ratio is 1 rooster for 10 hens. I would agree. I had 9 hens in one coop/run, and two roosters was too much. The younger (more aggressive one) is currently separated from the rest to give the poor overworked, barebacked hens a break and a chance to grow their feathers back before winter.

Back
Top Bottom