Buff Orpington Rooster

BarredRockin20

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
I have always been fascinated with how beautiful roosters can be. I love hearing them as well. I’ve always had chickens growing up and now since I’ve moved and started my own family I got a nice flock of my own a few weeks ago. I have 5 different breeds. Some from TSC and Rural King. All are pullets besides my buffs. I have always wanted Buff Orpingtons ever since I was a kid and never got lucky to get any. I seen straight runs at TSC a few weeks back and jumped on them. They are actually the whole reason I got chickens. I had no intentions when I walked in there I was buying chicks. My question is if I get a rooster out of my buffs how are they. I can’t find too much on here about the buff roos. I’ve looked them up on google and they look like a beautiful Cockrel. Thanks!

Heheh, sounds similar to me last year but with easter eggers. Ever since I started reading about chicken breeds I knew I wanted easter eggers and after I got them I fell in love! Individual temperment will vary, especially with hatchery stock, but I hear on average buff orpington roosters are more docile than usual. Again, this doesn't mean any of your boys will be nice, but as far as breed the odds are stacked a bit more in your favor. Do you have plans for any extra roosters you may have? Straight runs are a gamble, it's supposed to be half males and females but you could get lucky and get mostly or all girls or you could get unlucky and get mostly or all boys. Not to mention that pullets have a 10% chance of actually being a rooster due to human error and feed stores are notorious for mix ups so you could wind up with more boys than you're prepared to deal with pretty easily if you aren't careful. That said, I think you'll love your buffs, I have a single buff orpington chick named Juniper who's 10 weeks old and she is very very sweet! In the future you can also order buff orpington pullets from a hatchery and they'll send them to you so you don't have to run around town hoping a feed store near you has them
Obligatory chicken tax of Juniper and friends on a sleepy Sunday afternoon

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_135440247.jpg
    IMG_20240512_135440247.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 1
Heheh, sounds similar to me last year but with easter eggers. Ever since I started reading about chicken breeds I knew I wanted easter eggers and after I got them I fell in love! Individual temperment will vary, especially with hatchery stock, but I hear on average buff orpington roosters are more docile than usual. Again, this doesn't mean any of your boys will be nice, but as far as breed the odds are stacked a bit more in your favor. Do you have plans for any extra roosters you may have? Straight runs are a gamble, it's supposed to be half males and females but you could get lucky and get mostly or all girls or you could get unlucky and get mostly or all boys. Not to mention that pullets have a 10% chance of actually being a rooster due to human error and feed stores are notorious for mix ups so you could wind up with more boys than you're prepared to deal with pretty easily if you aren't careful. That said, I think you'll love your buffs, I have a single buff orpington chick named Juniper who's 10 weeks old and she is very very sweet! In the future you can also order buff orpington pullets from a hatchery and they'll send them to you so you don't have to run around town hoping a feed store near you has them
Obligatory chicken tax of Juniper and friends on a sleepy Sunday afternoon
Juniper looks great! And I’m prepared for extra and expecting a few roosters. I would like to figure out which is the most docile out of the bunch and the rest either take to sale barn or try to give it to someone who needs a rooster

Back
Top Bottom