Buff Orpingtons 3 M.O. - Hens or Roosters? Help!

First, you have no orpingtons, buff or otherwise. You have production/generic red birds, the one looks like a pullet so far. The combs and wattles tell us they're cockerals, yes hens do develop larger combs and wattles but not at this young age, more like 4+ months. They also look like they're getting hackle and saddle feathers, those long flowy feathers that only males get.

btw, I think your easter egger is also a roo. Sorry.

Bummer! Not pullets or even buff orpingtons. Won't be buying from that place again. Is there any reputable online hatchery?
Thanks Guys very much for your input and if anyone else has a cockerel/pullet opinion about these 2 please still chime in! The chicken swap is tomorrow morning. :(

First, you have no orpingtons, buff or otherwise. You have production/generic red birds, the one looks like a pullet so far. The combs and wattles tell us they're cockerals, yes hens do develop larger combs and wattles but not at this young age, more like 4+ months. They also look like they're getting hackle and saddle feathers, those long flowy feathers that only males get.

btw, I think your easter egger is also a roo. Sorry.
I'm not sure the Easter Egger is a roo - it's possible, but the saddle feathers aren't very pointy.
smile.png

Bummer! Not pullets or even buff orpingtons. Won't be buying from that place again. Is there any reputable online hatchery?
Thanks Guys very much for your input and if anyone else has a cockerel/pullet opinion about these 2 please still chime in! The chicken swap is tomorrow morning. :(

I have always had a great deal of luck with Cackle Hatchery. VERY nice people to speak to on the phone, if that's how you're ordering. But you can also order online. I think the minimum order is 15 chicks, and you can choose whether you want pullets, roosters, or straight run. I've gotten Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Black Australorp's from them. They shipped out on a Monday, and I got them on Tuesday morning, and that was coming from Missouri to Pennsylvania. None of my chicks ever died in transit either.

Forgot to add.....you have two roosters there, definitely NOT buff Orpington's, and your EE is a pullet as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Hi - one more thing...if I have a "production red" pullet, do you know how good they are as egg layers and what size egg they will produce? I bought the so-called buff orps for egg-laying, so now I'm wondering if I should keep even the red pullet or buy a few real orps. Thanks you guys have been a wealth of info.

I have two production red hens that started laying about 2 months ago and one of the two has only missed one day. They lay big brown eggs and are very nice gals....

Production Reds are one of the best layers out there. Hence the name "production" red. You will get an egg out of each almost daily. I'd keep them if that's what you want the hens for. They are great layers.

Back
Top Bottom