BUff Orpingtons in heat?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
How have you other BO owners found your birds cope in the heat? I love the ones we have but Queenie really takes strain in the heat. However I only have one hen so I can't tell if it is just her or BO hens generally. The roos seem much on a par with the Sussex... IS this just an individual problem or should I go for another breed here in the south east? And if so which would you recommend and why? We want a gentle easy to handle dual purpose bird...

They may suffer a little more, but I have Buff Orps and Blue Orps and if they have plenty of air and you mist down the pens in the heat of the afternoon, plus they have access the good shade, they should be fine. One of my Buff Orps is even having to wear a saddle for roo protection in this awful heat, but she seems fine.

My Buffs are very young and did ok in the heat. 2 of my older hens (RIR, and Americana**) get very cranky and pant in the heat. I mist them if its too hot and make sure lots of cold water is avail. They did ok. The misting from the hose scared some of my chickens. But the 2 cranky ones just sat there. I actual think it was the noise from the hose that scared them. That day it was 95 and very humid.
I don't think its the breed. not sure however.
Good luck,
Ann

I have 17 BO, and they do suffer some in the heat, being heavy breeds, however mine are doing ok. I keep thier water cool...and they have plenty shade and a fan in the coop. Most larger breeds will suffer some...just like people. Make sure they have plenty shade, cool water...and wet down the run late in the afternoon.

Emily, my pretty buff girl seems to be the first to pant of all my breeds. It is 102 degrees today, but only 6 percent humidity, thank goodness!

Right now i only have one buff girl that is outside with my roo, she seems to do fine in the heat - both of them are very active during early morning and settle down once the heat of day starts than start to get active again when things cool off - there have been times when i notice my roo KFC walking around inside the kidde pool the ducks use i cant tell if he thinks he is a duck or not LOL

Julie R

Back
Top Bottom