Buff orpingtons

Gorgeous!!! I want to get 3 BO if hubby will let me.
wink.png

Hunny, They followed me home, Can I keep them.

Oh man, I love my Orps. So much so that in order to add color to my flock, I ended up getting Lemon Cuckoos and Lavenders.

With my flock, the Buffs do tend to go broody more often than the other breeds I have had in residence. It's really inconvenient if you don't have many hens and you need the eggs but a real treat when you've got others keeping up with the laying. Plus, I am working on my third generation and am trying to improve my stock with the introduction of new genes.

You can easily tell if they are about to go broody because they get all grumpy beforehand. They will walk around all poofy and clucking with a distinct BAWK BAWK BAWK to anyone and everyone... people, the Rooster, other hens.

They can be really wily about hiding a nest, too.

What I love best about them is their cute personalities. I call them my puppy chickens :)

PheazAnt: Those are adorable babies! I have 4 BO's about the same age in my brooder. 3 look like yours, complete with the tiny tails. The fourth doesn't quite match (a lost-n-found?). The tails made me wonder if I managed to pick up the only 3 roo's in the entire sexed bin! They're very mild-mannered, and will climb into a hand lowered into their box.

PheazAnt: Those are adorable babies! I have 4 BO's about the same age in my brooder. 3 look like yours, complete with the tiny tails. The fourth doesn't quite match (a lost-n-found?). The tails made me wonder if I managed to pick up the only 3 roo's in the entire sexed bin! They're very mild-mannered, and will climb into a hand lowered into their box.

Mine that I'm sure are pullets had tiny tails at first, but they got them befo
re the 4 I think are roos had anything resembling a tail!

This is the only picture I had that really showed the difference in tails. The 2 RIR are pullets, you can see their tails. The BO on the right with the tail is a pullet and you can see the fluffy butt still on the other one. I'm 99 % sure he's a roo. He is the one pictured in my avatar. My BO are straight run and out of the 6 I am, was pretty sure 4 were roos, just by the differences in the way they look from the other two, the smallest though is growing a tail that is starting to look more like the two pullets - so I'm iffy about him now. Anyway hope the picture helps. You can see the difference in the wings on the 2 also.

I have 8 BO chickens. 2 are Roos. In my case the Roos were way behind the hens in feathering. My hens all had wing feathers and tail feathers and the Roos just barely had wing feathers complete. At 7 weeks old they are just about caught up and starting to get some longer tail feathers. I could tell the Roos apart by their combs and waddles came in first. Their feet and leg joint was bigger, and they walked a little more upright than the hens.

so from what Ive gathered here, I have 2 pullets and 2 roos? Now how did this happen? These pics were taken at 2 weeks. Now at 3 weeks...2 have petootie feathers aka butt feathers, and 2 have rounded bums.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the pullets get signs of tails before roos. These little ones make me forget all the worries of the day, they are soooo cute. I enjoy making the turn home after a day in the city . . . My 10 week old Barreds will always have a place in my hearts cos they are so lovey for my first set of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom