Buff Orps mixed with Blue/Buff Cross--This is what I got? Seriously?

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
SO I let my buff hatch some eggs from my coop when she went broody. My coop has a blue/buff orp roo. Dad is blue with buff wings. My hens are buffs and one mix that is either buff/blue cross also or red/blue cross. She was hatched out a few years back when I still had 2 very old reds in there.

ANyway....I used eggs from my own hens so there is a very high possibility they are "pure" orpington with varying levels of blue and buff with a slim possibilty of some red way back. My roosters daddy is a splash orpington, with a molted look to him.

ANd, these are the two chicks?????? Where could the barring pattern on their wings come from?? They are a brown coloring, which I know could be the blue and buff blended, but no where in any of these line should there be barring or striping?

I can add pictures of the parents and grandparents too....I am very curious to your feedback, especially those with BBS breeding experience.

THanks so much everyone!

1371_dsc00272.jpg

1371_dsc00269.jpg

1371_dsc00277.jpg

1371_dsc00278.jpg

Last edited:
Definatley the daddy (in his cockeral days)
0113.jpg

Definatley the granddaddy-BBS orp from a member here.
101.jpg

Likely mommmys:
First picture, the hen is on the left as a pullet.
0042.jpg

064.jpg

(I have a few buffs)

THanks again.

Last edited:
But doesnt one of the parental lines have to carry the trait for autosomal barring in order for the chicks to display?

Any other ideas? Speckled Hen? hinkjc? WildsofPa? I know you are orp people....ever seen this?

Last edited:
It takes the following genes to produce autosomal barring ER/ER, co+/co+, Db/Db, ml+/ml+ and Pg/Pg.

all of those chickens in the pics carry at least one of those genes.....the chick in question looks ER birchen to me

check this ER birchen chick, was your chick this color when born..?

GLOFam1-chick.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of chicks look like those in the photo without being barred as adults. I doubt it is barred, cause where would Pg come from?

You have an extremely complicated genetic puzzle here and the answer is probably unknowable.

Im no orpington expert, but if I remember correctly buff is usually made on Wheaten in Orpingtons and Blue probably on extended black.

So the Roo ( I think you said splash father and buff mother right)you have shown is probably split for black and wheaten and then split for mahongany split for columbian and split for dilute as well as being blue(split for blue which is blue).

and this is just looking at the bird you say is the father.

As to the mothers...I have now idea what the grey headed white bird might be but if it was a buff that was bred to the father your mentioned the chicken calculator comes up with 128 different possible color combinations (where as splash to buff only allows 2 different combination's so you see how complicated things can become rather quickly)

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.htm...E^Wh/E^Wh,Co:Co/Co,Mh:Mh/Mh,Di:Di/Di,I:I^d/i+

*you will notice it says 1 of 256, this includes males and females

Hi Tiffany, long time no see/talk/write
smile.png

That little chick looks similar to some I hatched last year, if you`re interested in what they may look like, check out the second roo in my pics (black/buff)
He (and the others pictured) are the results of your brothers splash roos brother that I got from the other BYC member, if you recall, thats how I met YOU in the first place. lol
In other words, a blue orp roos over buff hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124792

Thanks so much for your answers guys...they've been helpful. Im comfortable with genetics....just not chickens specifically so im enjoying the mystery!

Ill keep you posted as they grow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom