Buff Sebright orgins question

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
Seached the archives. Found no answer.

A few years ago I was forced to sell out. Am now back with several breeds I love.

Was wondering what was used to create the Buff Sebright?

Ideal Poultry writes:

Although other breeders have produced Buff Sebright Bantams, Ideal Poultry has developed its own strain of this extremely rare variety. In 2001, Golden Sebright Bantams were crossed for several generations to Golden Sebright Bantams following selection for Sebright Bantam characteristics and buff laced plumage. Males and females have similar plumage patterns. Each feather, throughout the entire surface, is rich golden buff, laced with creamy white.

Standard weights at maturity are male-22 oz, and hen-20 oz.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=BFLSB&Product=1009

Quote:

If Ideal's Buff Sebright are a buff color that is laced with white then I wouldn't call them buff's. Maybe a Buff Laced ( like in the Buff Laced Polish ) but but I wouldn't call them a buff...

Chris

Last edited:
Received the 10 Buff Sebrights Friday. Very healthy!

More important, Ideal called me back. I was right. Ideal took a non-bearded Buff Laced Polish Bantams and mated those to a Golden Sebright Bantams. Apparently two lines: male and female, PolishxSebright and SebrightXPolish. They had 20 generations before they started offering them available. It took about 10 years, with 1.5 generations per year. They culled for non-type, hen feathering, crest and comb among others. Ideal said taht they are about the same size as other Sebrights and assured me that though not in the Standard, would be bred to the Standard.

The Standard: We should use the Sebright Standard for type: i.e. comb, carraige, hen feathering etc. Use the plumage description for Buff Laced: i.e. Buff Laced Polish.

It would have to be entered as: All Other Variety and can only win Best of Variety.

Am looking forward to showing these this fall.

Back
Top Bottom