Bugs around the Cloaca

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I need some help!! I was looking at my birds tonight (after falling through the coop floor LOL) and found little white (clear) bugs around the Cloaca of my chickens. On some of the birds had a few and some had quite a few on them. Can someone please tell what they are and how to get rid of them? They are laying eggs still, so I dont think its affecting their laying.

Any help would be very much apreciated!

Could be lice.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730620/head-lice
you can see my post here from another thread

There is also a mite that comes out at night and lives in the cracks of the coop but should look darker from what I have read. I'd make sure you spray your coop as well with permethrin or something poultry-approved just in case it is the red mite.

I haven't dealt with the red mite or lice- only the Northern Fowl Mite. Make sure you retreat the birds in 7 days if mites and every 7 days x 2 for lice (longer life cycle). Some just treat it again at 2 weeks for lice (but if mites are there also they will come back again unless you do the 7 day retreatment).

Lice live on the bird, not in the coop. The Northern Fowl mite also lives on the bird, but boy oh boy if I just don't change out the nest box shavings as I am treating the coop they come right back. I have to spray the coop and throw out all shavings and treat the birds to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Sevin dust will kill the lice. Dust all your birds, redust them again in 7-10 days. Also dust the inside of the coop, nests and roosts. Repeat again in 7-10 days.

Last edited:
Could be lice.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730620/head-lice
you can see my post here from another thread

There is also a mite that comes out at night and lives in the cracks of the coop but should look darker from what I have read. I'd make sure you spray your coop as well with permethrin or something poultry-approved just in case it is the red mite.

I haven't dealt with the red mite or lice- only the Northern Fowl Mite. Make sure you retreat the birds in 7 days if mites and every 7 days x 2 for lice (longer life cycle). Some just treat it again at 2 weeks for lice (but if mites are there also they will come back again unless you do the 7 day retreatment).

Lice live on the bird, not in the coop. The Northern Fowl mite also lives on the bird, but boy oh boy if I just don't change out the nest box shavings as I am treating the coop they come right back. I have to spray the coop and throw out all shavings and treat the birds to get rid of them.
Ok thank you!
Sevin dust will kill the lice. Dust all your birds, redust them again in 7-10 days. Also dust the inside of the coop, nests and roosts. Repeat again in 7-10 days.
Would diatomaceous earth work?

DE is just a preventative...for an active infestation it won't work.

You can make them a nice dust bath with DE or woodstove ashes, sand, dirt mixed up or any combination thereof as long as you keep it out of the rain and it will help keep them healthier and keep bugs away, but once they have lots of bugs on them they need some help in a big way.

These chemical dusting powders REALLY work - INSTANTLY. Make sure you retreat!!! Otherwise it is just like you didn't treat them- they come right back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom