Bugs in cracked corn & sunflower seeds

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
I keep my layer feed, corn and sunflower seed in a galvanized can to keep out critters This morning I found bugs in the cracked corn and the sunflower seed. I saw no signs of mold but moisture is accumulating in the can. Is the corn and sunflower safe for the chickens eat? I have taken the corn and sunflower seeds out of the bags and placed on plastic outside to dry out. How can I keep the bugs and moisture out of the can?

1 veteran 1 dog 1 roo 8 hens 1 very old cat

Just watch out for the mold to form. Scratch is pretty easy to get bugs in it in the summertime--I think the eggs are already there, then they hatch out when the conditions are right. The bugs won't hurt the chickens, but of course mold can kill. I also keep mine inside the coop in galvanized cans, but try to make sure they are always shaded. The chickens jump up on them, but they are out of the sun and rain. I just bought some scratch a couple of weeks ago with weevils or bugs in a brand new bag. Last summer one was molded with bugs, so you just have to watch what you get this time of year because the bags are transported in hot trucks and stored who knows where.

Bugs just boost the protein!

I store mine in plastic garbage tubs and don't usually have a problem with moisture.
idunno.gif

Just a thought, Couldn't you use those packets that look like tea bags you get sometimes when you buy electronics or other stuff. Lay them on top of the cans inside.

Back
Top Bottom