Building a coop from swing set?

Harvest Mint

Songster
6 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Kingston, Tennessee
I have seen a few swing sets repurposed as coops for a small number birds. I have also seen a few trampoline coops. I currently have both of these and I was thinking about using both of these to make a coop and run. I have a building that has been used for chickens in the past but it needs a lot of work now and I will need somewhere to put my current flock when I need to replace the floor. I also want to split my flock as I have to cockerels and want to keep some pure bred. I am just not sure how well my idea would work since I have never done it.

Last edited:
Neither options are a perfect solution...but they are a solution. Me personally would use the swing set as I cannot envision a suitable roof for the trampoline....granted I must allow for lots of snow here. How will you attach wood to the metal supports? Maybe you have a method in mind.

Agrees neither option is ideal, both probably too small......
...and a lot of effort and maybe cost,
might not be worth it in the long run if it can't be used for the long term.

How many birds do you have now?
How big is the coop that needs fixing?
What are your flock population goals and their size needs?

Sounds like you want separate pens or partitions for breeding......
.......will that fit into the building that needs to be repaired?

Might want to pause and think long term before building anything.

Do you have pics of the swing set and trampoline? I think it could work well.

Is the trampoline round or rectangular? Is the swing set A frame or a playscape type made with 4x4's? If you think along the lines of post and beam construction, the trampoline and swing set provide all of the post and beams. If you use pressure treated lumber around the bottom each of both, you have attachment points top and bottom for siding, fencing etc. If the trampoline is round, I think a round run would be very cool. Assuming you would use the trampoline mat as the roof. Won't be waterproof, but will provide great shade for the chickens.

Lets see some pics!

Yes, we need some basic information, photos and dimensions of the swing set and trampoline would help. How many chickens you have and some idea of how many of each gender since you mention wanting a bachelor pad. “Small number” sounds encouraging but real numbers would help. How tall is that trampoline? Does the swing set have any play forts or such built into it?

In Tennessee your weather is relatively mild compared to some areas. I grew up in Tennessee a little north of you outside of LaFollette, you can have some cold snaps below zero Fahrenheit. That’s still not cold compared to -40 that some people have. Are you thinking or only using these during certain months of the year? Any bits on how you would use them could help.

As far as I’m concerned having extra facilities is a huge plus. It greatly increases your flexibility in how you manage them, either for planned events or unplanned.

One big advantage is that those frames are probably pretty robust. For kids to be bouncing and climbing on them they have to be. Another advantage is that you have them. I think it is a great idea but the question is how best to use them. I don’t want to say too much until I see better what you are working with but it sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom