Building a duck run

brookecostner1

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
hi! I have four ducklings currently. Two pekins and two buff Orpington. I’m getting their outdoor home ready while they are in their brooder and building a run for them. Their coop and pool will both sit within the run. I was thinking of a 12x8ft run. Does that seem large enough? Thank you!

hi! I have four ducklings currently. Two pekins and two buff Orpington. I’m getting their outdoor home ready while they are in their brooder and building a run for them. Their coop and pool will both sit within the run. I was thinking of a 12x8ft run. Does that seem large enough? Thank you!
Hi and :welcome! Will they be allowed to free range when they're older? If so, I think 12 x 8 ft would be fine but it's going to get messy fast. Definitely plan ahead - what kind of flooring (if any) will you have?

If they're not going to free range then I would suggest at least a 12 x 16 ft run. I have an entire coop that size and while those measurements seem big, it's really not. Especially if they're going to stay in there 24/7.

I have three smaller ducks and they have a 20 by 10 ft place to play in (mud with a pond and all - it's not predator proof, just their play area) and they're running all over that space all day long.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I do plan on letting them roam on weekends and after work. I’d like them out when I’m able to keep an eye on them only because we do have a dog that gets in our yard often and of course would like them to be put up at night because do plan on using hardware cloth to keep it predator safe. Do you have any suggestions for best bedding?

Thank you! I do plan on letting them roam on weekends and after work. I’d like them out when I’m able to keep an eye on them only because we do have a dog that gets in our yard often and of course would like them to be put up at night because do plan on using hardware cloth to keep it predator safe. Do you have any suggestions for best bedding?
I personally find straw to be cheaper and more efficient, but that may not be the case for your area.
There should be a wide space between the bedding and the pool area, otherwise you will be going through a lot of bedding :).
If the ducks have a safe run, chances are they will not use the coop, except perhaps to lay eggs. They like to sleep out in the open, preferably on a pool.
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom