Building a run

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
Hello everyone. I am building either an 8x28ft run or a 12x20ft run. How many chickens will be able to live in that? They will also have half a barn to be in when they don't want to be outside. Thank you! šŸ˜Š

If possible, go with the 12x20, you get more sq footage of run while using less linear ft in fencing.

But I will calculate according to the smaller footprint (8x28), which gives you 224 sq ft, so at max capacity it would hold roughly 22 standard hens.

If possible, go with the 12x20, you get more sq footage of run while using less linear ft in fencing.

But I will calculate according to the smaller footprint (8x28), which gives you 224 sq ft, so at max capacity it would hold roughly 22 standard hens.
I want to get to fitting as close to 40 chickens as possible. Right now I have 38. I can make something as big as 12x28.

That'd give you 336 sq ft. How big is the half barn and is it fully open during the day? Do they already have access to the barn and do the freely use it?
Yes, they would have full access into it from the outside area. I can show pics.

Attachments

• 20240309_122334.jpg
    20240309_122334.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240309_122359.jpg
    20240309_122359.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 8
So they're already using it? I'm asking because some flocks prefer staying outside, rain or shine, so the availability of the barn won't help the space issue if they don't want to use it.

If the birds are willing to use that space without problem then that plus the run should be enough to meet minimum requirements for 40. If they aren't, the run really needs to be larger.

So they're already using it? I'm asking because some flocks prefer staying outside, rain or shine, so the availability of the barn won't help the space issue if they don't want to use it.

If the birds are willing to use that space without problem then that plus the run should be enough to meet minimum requirements for 40. If they aren't, the run really needs to be larger.
Yesss. They are using a version of it, just a different section, just upstairs. šŸ˜ when they free-range, some of my chickens like to stay inside lol. When I get them to use the stairs they will have double access to upstairs too.

Back
Top Bottom