Building a scalding tank

linuxman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
Do you guys have any suggestions for building a scalding tank, that could handle 75-150 birds a day, maybe 2-3 at a time? I have a friend possibly looking at starting a small scale butchering buisness, and need some suggestions to do it on the cheaper side.

Ps. Anyone know where he could get a small plucker in Western NY?

Get the whiz bang books. They are instructional guides to building both the plucker and the scalder. I have yet to build the scalder. Even if you don't build them exactly as described, the author walks you through some of the important items, like rpm of the feather plate and finger spacings, information that is hard to get anywhere else. Well worth the money spent. You can then save money by scrounging many of the parts and pieces needed to complete the project.

Forgot to mention, keep us posted on the scalder. Let us know how you are getting along, post pics of the build.

I realize that you asked about BUILDING a scald tank and I posted a similar question a while back. Here's my 2 cents: I was planning to build one this spring too, but after reading and looking at plans (I have the Whiz Bang book) and comparing costs, I ended up buying the single element 110V Dux Industries scalder from Meyer Hatchery.

For about $220, my scalder concerns were history. And, it's sooo light, easy to move, clean and store.

I used it to process my 51 CX last Friday. The temperature maintained perfectly. I dipped two at a time. 5 seconds in the water, 2 seconds out, 6 dips total produced a perfect pluck in 15 seconds two at a time in the Whiz Bang plucker. The water will get dirty and that makes the perfect pluck just a bit more difficult. We changed the water after 30 chickens. I ran a hot water hose from the cellar. Water went in at about 125. 30 minutes later, it was 150. As a test, before processing day, I filled it with cold water from the hose. It takes over 3 hours to get the water to 150 when filling with cold water.

I do not regret my decision to buy a ready-to-use scalder. It's the best 200 bucks I spent on processing gear.

Back
Top Bottom