Building a super coop?

halfwayfarming

Hatching
Apr 13, 2015
So I have been trying to design my first coop and need help with ideas on how to make it as predator proof as possible. If you have any tricks or tips to keep out pest reply.

Coops are usually fairly predator-proof by their very nature. If you have a pop door that closes securely, hardware cloth secured over all the ventilation openings (with screws and washers), and a latch that isn't just a simple hook, you should be fine. If you mean the run, then hardware cloth, hardware cloth, hardware cloth (again, secured with screws and washers).

Pretty much what they said. Different people use different techniques but good shed construction is good. I don’t use screws and fender washers to put my hardware cloth on. I rip strips about ¾” thick from a 2x4, drill pilot holes to assure the wood doesn’t split (plus it’s easier to start the screws), and screw those over the ends of the hardware cloth, always going through a hole in the hardware cloth. If you tighten it down that’s really secure plus you don’t snag clothing or skin on the ends of the hardware cloth. But screws and washers work too. There is no one way that is right where every other way is wrong.

What mistakes have I made, eh, eh, I mean do I have any suggestions. Don’t use insufficient hardware. Hinges need to be robust enough to carry the load as well as strong enough that a raccoon or big dog can’t rip them apart. Same thing for hasps or however you lock it. Make sure your closure will fit in the hasp without being too tight. Don’t use sliding bolts or something that simple as a closure. Use something you can lock. I use S-biners I got from Lowe’s to secure my hasps. So far it has worked.

Realize that many things climb and can squeeze through a very small hole. I arbitrarily chose 1” as my guide. Any opening larger than 1” gets covered in hardware cloth. Doesn’t matter where it is.

Gates and doors can be weak points. Make sure they fit reasonably well and are secure.

External nests that penetrate the coop wall can be a weak point. If you build them strong they are fine but sometimes it’s a way for rain or predators to get in. Firmly attach them and use hardware and materials sufficient for the job.

I personally like a coop that I can walk into. I go inside to collect eggs, lock the pop door at night, and such. That way the coop gets a security search before I lock them up. I’ve walked in on several snakes and even a possum once. I once had a skunk in the run but the chickens were already locked up. I secured that breach the next day.

That’s enough. Use decent technique and materials and you should be OK.

Thanks for the tips! I asked because we are building a coop on land we own about 20mins away. We will be going out there every day to feed them and such. The land is out in the country and has lots of raccoons, coyotes, skunk, some stray dogs and harmless snakes. I just want to build a really good set up so we have minimal flock loss because I get really attached to animals and wouldn't want to loose one. I was thinking an 8x5 shed style coop with an automatic coop door and 100' of electrified poultry netting around the coop to be their run and to keep out coons and coyotes. We would probably put some non-electrified netting on posts around the pen to keep out hawks,owls, and eagles. Or a vicous duck, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom