Building nest boxes? Ideas?

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
My eldest hen is getting close to laying age and I would like to go ahead and make a place for her to do it...Has anyone ever made a nest box out of basic household materials, and how did you do it? I saw someone post something about a 5 gallon bucket, which seems a little big for my 4'X6' coop, and someone else said something about a gallon milk jug, which seems a bit small, and also flimsy, to me...( but what do I know )?
tongue.png

Any creative ideas out there?

Thanks!

It really can be anything with sides. If you have a 2-3 gal detergent/feed container that's thoroughly washed, you just cut one side out to be the exposed top side and you're set. You could even use printer paper cartons too, although it's a bit flimsy and very disposable.

I saw someone just bought a covered kitty litter box and used that. That would be really fast and easy. I don't know about cheap, though- but it doesn't seem like that would be more than $20.

ETA:- what about going to the Dollar Tree or Dollar Store and just picking up a tupperware bucket for a dollar and putting it on it's side?? Practically no money.
smile.png

Last edited:
I've been known to use modified cardboard boxes when I needed nest boxes right away and didn't have the time to buy all of the materials and set aside an afternoon to assemble them. They're fast and easy to make, free, and easily replaceable. If you tape the edges and keep the hens from roosting on them they'll easily last for a couple months or more. Just a thought!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom