Building the ideal chicken run

I don't Have a run/coop yet but if I did it wold be the size of a kids playhouse and it would be for quails!
big_smile.png

Oh my goodness, you guys crack me up! I think if we combined all our "Dream Runs" we'd end up creating a garden of Eden! I'll add that each chicken has her own hammock, and Monte Carlo for shopping trips to town!!
But seriously, when you state you bury the mesh, etc, how are you doing this? Is the wire under the soil a foot or so, or? And is this for the width of the run? I understand we are trying to prevent predators digging into the run... And, what do you mean by fabric? Never heard of that.

Quote:
You got it right on the below ground wire. How to bury it? Theres a special tool made just for the job - called a shovel.
And, yes, it encircles the entire run. Digging predators have plenty of time and will try many places to get in.
Fabric is shade fabric, the open weave poly cloth often associated with greenhouse growing.
Some also mean netting when they use the term fabric, but the two are really distinct from each other.

my run is a wood frame covered in chicken wire and about 2 1/2 feet above the ground the floor of it is a section of stockade fence it is hinged so you can lift the cage off and hose it off. It's a big chicken wire box
We built off the ground so nothing could dig in.The new coop which we are building now is also above ground on stilts it is 7x10 and the run is 8x12 i think got to ask DH

I keep seeing everyone using dog runs and chain link fence , but every time I go on the predator posts someone with chain link and dog runs have lost chickens because racoons have pulled their chickens through and popped their heads off.
I have to find some of this hardware cloth is it made of fabric? That doesn't seem very sturdy

No, Purr ~ hardware cloth is just a term.
smile.png
It's actually a wire with smaller squares. It can be galvanized & welded. This makes it sturdier. Just make sure you get a strong gauge about 18 or so. This will hold up to any critters.
Hardware cloth can be found at most lumber stores, or the big ones like Lowe's, etc.

Carla

Well, can't afford my ideal but here is what I have for my Jo Jo and his eleven Ladies.
Here ya go Carla, hope you enjoy.
big_smile.png
Jim

Lowerendofhouserun.jpg
ms/a199/Renigeid/Frontofchickenhouserun.jpg[/IMG]

RoostNEcorner.jpg

Insidenorthcorner.jpg

Backofchickenhouserun.jpg

windowguardsouthside.jpg

Insidesouthcorner.jpg

Houseentrance.jpg

JoJotheLadies.jpg

Lowerendofhouserun-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Renigeid! Nice looking setup you've got there. You sure look like you live in a nice country setting. I gather you must have livestock as well, from the look of that gate?

I have been pleased with my run design. I have a large outer run (20X40), as well as a covered, ultra secure inner run. The outer run is chain link, with a cement foundation, which the hens can enjoy on days when it's not raining hard... or snowing.
roll.png

100_0531.jpg

The inner run is great for rainy days, to be able to let the chickens outside, but not get wet.
100_0416.jpg

The inner run is made of hardware cloth, even under the roof. I have buried the cloth down 1' into the ground. There are splashboards around the base to stop the roof drainage from splashing into the run, and acting as a bit of a wind break. As well, I have circled the hen house with it, also buried, to keep rats, etc., out from under it.
100_0420.jpg

100_0417.jpg

My shop protects the run area further from winds.
100_0484.jpg

The hens can enjoy the view of the garden, of which I will let them till for me this fall..
smile.png

100_0495.jpg

Back
Top Bottom