Building trust

Teisha888

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts!
When my father in law passed, I inherited his chickens and they had never been handled or held, touched, tamed or petted. I have since let one of the hens that went broody hatch 4 babies. I never separated them from mama, the flock, or the coop. I now have a flock of 7 chickens that won’t even let me pet them, let alone hold them. Any suggestions how I might win them over?
They do come running when I approach the coop, but that is all.

Chickens inherently don't care for being touch or held. You can drag a chair out there and just sit with them for 10 minutes every so often so they get comfortable with you. Snacks help. But don't over do it.

Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts!
When my father in law passed, I inherited his chickens and they had never been handled or held, touched, tamed or petted. I have since let one of the hens that went broody hatch 4 babies. I never separated them from mama, the flock, or the coop. I now have a flock of 7 chickens that won’t even let me pet them, let alone hold them. Any suggestions how I might win them over?
They do come running when I approach the coop, but that is all.
They sound absolutley wonderful. Proper chickens.:D
I take it you want pets instead.
Ignore the chicks for the moment and concentrate on improving your relationship with their mum.
While they are chicks it's a case of if mum says it's okay then it's okay. It's worth doing anyway because if mum has gone broody and hatched once she'll probably do it again. Get right with mum and the chicks will get used to you being around.
Don't try to grab them! You'll upset mum and the chicks.
Find something that mum likes to eat. Make sure whatever it is is chopped into small pieces. Put some in your hand and put your hand palm up with the treats in it on the ground and don't move it.
Mum will probably come over and scratch whatever it is out of your hand. Let her. Don't move your hand. Mum should then call the chicks over for what she's found. Do this for a few days and eventually the chicks will stand in your hand.
Don't move your hand!

This should get you off to a good start. After that it's lots and lots of patience and time spent around them.

It takes a lot of patience and time. I sat outside by their favorite spot with a few treats for a while. First start by throwing the treats a little ways away from you and letting them come. Then slowly make the treats closer as they get more comfortable. Then move to them eating out of your hand. NEVER try to pet one though. They'll let you know when their ready to be held or pet.

Back
Top Bottom