Chicken has no balance but is normal otherwise

Laylashens

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2019
Charlottesville, VA
Hello again,

In addition to my sick Wyandotte, I have a 5yo Australorp hen who, a couple months ago, seemed to get off-balance and started tipping on to her side. She will get up and precariously walk a few feet, then one of her legs will give out and she’ll fall over again. I have tried to give her vitamin E (900mg) but to be honest haven’t been consistent with it everyday, partially because the only thing she’ll eat it with is banana, and I don’t want to give her too much of that. I also bought some Vitamin B1 tabs, but I’m not sure how many mg I should give her. She is very perky and tries to drag herself around and eats and drinks normally. It also hasn’t seemed to have gotten much worse: the weakness only seems to be in her legs. I’m just not sure how to go from here—Any suggestions are very much welcome.

Treat for vitamin E deficiency and B-2, 6, and 12. Those are the B-vitamins that heal nerve connections. It's easier to get a b-complex than to buy them individually.

Treat consistently each day for four weeks. if she does not improve, then I would suspect an avian virus such as lymphoid leucosis.

Ok, I’ll go to the store this evening to get that :thumbsup What should I be going for dosage-wise (mg)? Also is it ok to put it in a little bit of banana everyday, as she won’t eat it with anything else? Or is that too much potassium for a chicken?

Also, if this is a virus, wouldn’t it have spread to the others by now? She’s also not getting worse (or better), just stagnating.

If this is a virus, all of your chickens carry it. Giving the vitamins in a way to rule out a virus or make it less likely if the vitamin therapy causes improvement. You can't overdose B-complex. Make it easy by shoving a B-tablet and E capsule into her beak once a day.

Back
Top Bottom