Built my own coop, now I have 6 chickens!!! eek!

We also have made our coop from recycled materials. I did have to get a few things, but the lumber was all reclaimed. I have 6 Bantams, so I can have a smaller space. When I moved my chicks from the brooder to the coop and run, they did not go in the house for almost a week. They stayed in the run. I did not put anything in there to coax them in, instead I just let them figure it out. I personally would put the food and water out of the house and in the run. They are animals and when they get hungry or thirsty, they will go seek it out. Oyster Shell for harder eggs shells, or bake your egg shells and crunch them up and give it to them. As for price, here you will find anywhere from 2-4 dollars a dozen, 3 seem standard. I would also try to avoid going around the coop except for once a day to feed, water, and check eggs until they start acting less skiddish. Good luck. We are also doing a family learning thing. Though not with money. The kids are active with the chickens and we are planning to use them for eggs and then let them sit and dispatch the grown chickens for meat. I personally want the boys to know where their food comes from and what it takes to have that chicken on their plate. I also want them to learn that just because an animal is food does not mean that it cannot have a good life and that you cannot treat them well. My chickens are so happy and friendly and we take very good care of them. My hope it to teach the boys about the life cycle and to have respect for what you eat instead of being passive consumers. If I could I would have a whole small farm, but for now, chickens is what it is :)

We also have made our coop from recycled materials. I did have to get a few things, but the lumber was all reclaimed. I have 6 Bantams, so I can have a smaller space. When I moved my chicks from the brooder to the coop and run, they did not go in the house for almost a week. They stayed in the run. I did not put anything in there to coax them in, instead I just let them figure it out. I personally would put the food and water out of the house and in the run. They are animals and when they get hungry or thirsty, they will go seek it out. Oyster Shell for harder eggs shells, or bake your egg shells and crunch them up and give it to them. As for price, here you will find anywhere from 2-4 dollars a dozen, 3 seem standard. I would also try to avoid going around the coop except for once a day to feed, water, and check eggs until they start acting less skiddish. Good luck. We are also doing a family learning thing. Though not with money. The kids are active with the chickens and we are planning to use them for eggs and then let them sit and dispatch the grown chickens for meat. I personally want the boys to know where their food comes from and what it takes to have that chicken on their plate. I also want them to learn that just because an animal is food does not mean that it cannot have a good life and that you cannot treat them well. My chickens are so happy and friendly and we take very good care of them. My hope it to teach the boys about the life cycle and to have respect for what you eat instead of being passive consumers. If I could I would have a whole small farm, but for now, chickens is what it is :)
The girls figured it out! Without any coaxing, they embarked into the new world yesterday and are scratching around their yard. They are eating and drinking like champs. I've noticed only 3 are using the roost I have set up even though its cozy enough for 6 so I think I may have to add one more roost in the coop today. I'm going to keep an eye open and see if maybe they cozy up together once more before I add the roost but that's the only problem I see right now.

They aren't skittish any more! yay!
woot.gif
and they're already laying for us!

I'm already stressed about what to do with these chickens when they stop laying.... I have horrible memories of slaughtering chickens as a child and I don't want that for my kids. That being said I'm totally cool with giving them to someone else to slaughter for food. I just can't do it myself. eek

The girls figured it out! Without any coaxing, they embarked into the new world yesterday and are scratching around their yard. They are eating and drinking like champs. I've noticed only 3 are using the roost I have set up even though its cozy enough for 6 so I think I may have to add one more roost in the coop today. I'm going to keep an eye open and see if maybe they cozy up together once more before I add the roost but that's the only problem I see right now.

They aren't skittish any more! yay!
woot.gif
and they're already laying for us!

I'm already stressed about what to do with these chickens when they stop laying.... I have horrible memories of slaughtering chickens as a child and I don't want that for my kids. That being said I'm totally cool with giving them to someone else to slaughter for food. I just can't do it myself. eek
That is great news! From the information I got, they will lay about 3 years, which are marked by laying seasons, heavy in the warmer months and then tapering off in the colder months... so you still have time... I have already told my husband that he is doing the dispatching because I already think I will have problems with it because I am nurturing them. Mine have not started laying yet, they are only a few months old, so I am still trying to figure out breeds and gender...lol.. but we found out this morning that one is a rooster.... he is starting to try to crow.... I want to get another perch in mine too.. but I noticed only a few seem to use the perch, the rest like the floor and nesting boxes, but I wanted to put a perch in the run.....

That is great news! From the information I got, they will lay about 3 years, which are marked by laying seasons, heavy in the warmer months and then tapering off in the colder months... so you still have time... I have already told my husband that he is doing the dispatching because I already think I will have problems with it because I am nurturing them. Mine have not started laying yet, they are only a few months old, so I am still trying to figure out breeds and gender...lol.. but we found out this morning that one is a rooster.... he is starting to try to crow.... I want to get another perch in mine too.. but I noticed only a few seem to use the perch, the rest like the floor and nesting boxes, but I wanted to put a perch in the run.....
I put a little table in mine so they can perch in the run, it's got enough space for 3 or 4 to perch or stand on it. mine like to huddle on the floor too... is that ok??? eek

baby rooster... haha I bet he's cute.

by the way... post a pic of your coop! I wanna see :)

This is my coop, we plan to side it in when the weather gets cold, but here in Texas we are already close to 90 degrees and 60-70 at night... so we wanted lots of ventilation. We just move it over once a week so they get new grass and they LOVE it! As for the baby Rooster, that is him, Joe Dirt.....

I think it is fine for them to cuddle, they are social birds.... the only time I think they do not cuddle is when they are too hot... mine sometimes will dog pile in the run, or when they go in the coop it is nothing to see 2-3 of them cuddled up and 1-2 on the perch.

I put a little table in mine so they can perch in the run, it's got enough space for 3 or 4 to perch or stand on it. mine like to huddle on the floor too... is that ok??? eek

baby rooster... haha I bet he's cute.

I was thinking about running a dow rod for the perch in the run, but because our set up is so small, it might prevent the kids from being able to go in and catch them if I need them too...

You mentioned that the coop was small. You should have 4 sq' per hen in the coop (floor space, not counting water and food feeders). otherwise they will start fighting for room and pulling feathers, etc. The run should be 10 sq. ft. per hen also. This is what is recommended.
As for the soft egg, mine will lay one once in a great while. I had one layed last week and it's been since last summer since I found one. I keep oyster shell in a tray that attaches to the wall so they can get some when ever they want. Good luck with your girls and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom